Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have 2005 Chevrolet 4.8 it has never ran hot I just put a

Customer Question

I have 2005 Chevrolet 4.8 it has never ran hot I just put a new radiador and water pump nand thermast now it run hot in I go up town 2mile 3 times ,it feels like I have my foot on the brake I can cool the radiador with a water hose it is ready to go what is the problem
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I think you have air trapped in the cooling system. If you don't have a bleed valve on that engine or a degas bottle, try jacking up the side of the front end where the radiator cap is so the cap is higher than the rest of the cooling system which includes the heater core or pull that side up on a curb. Put the heater on hot, but leave the blower off, then remove the radiator cap, top off the coolant level. Start the engine and allow the thermostat to open while you keep an eye on that coolant topping of if needed. I usually put my fingers on the top radiator hose connection at the radiator and feel it and watch the level inside the radiator at the same time waiting for my fingers to feel when the top radiator hose connection gets hot, meaning the thermostat has opened and the coolant level will usually drop some then a little steam come out. Then make sure the coolant level is full, grab the top radiator hose with both hands and push it down as far as it will go without hitting anything spinning on the engine, then squeeze the hose real hard with both hands a few times and push out any air out the radiator, then top off the coolant level if need be, shut off the engine and let it cool down some, put the cap back on lower the vehicle and try that.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

A good way to tell if there is air trapped in the cooling system is whenever the engine is warmed up, shut off the engine then try to squeeze the top radiator hose. It should be hard as a rock, if you can squeeze it closed or even any at all, there is air in it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I read that there are cooling system bleeder screws.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Your premium service offer came back "Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation." I assume thy will be contacting you shortly.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

They not thy, spellcheck missed that one.