Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

Its jerking and cut off today, 2013 malibu, I hope so I had

Customer Question

Its jerking and cut off today
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2013 malibu
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I hope so I had my husband check battery connection
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: No I havnt
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that's all it's doing I had mash gas so it won't cut off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Do you have a check engine light on at this time ?

Has a Diagnostic scan been performed to retrieve any fault codes from the vehicle if the check engine light is on ?

( advance auto or auto zone will run a scan with print out free of charge )

It sound u have vacuum leak or throttle body / TPS throttle position sensor situation

having codes read is important than i can be accurate for you with my answer to what is going on with it .

how many miles please ?

did this happened suddenly or some prior work could have contributed to it that you know off ?

please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine light came back on today took to AutoZone following codes
P0171
P0011
P0455
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
89000 miles

ok great let me look this up and I will reply back

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

DTC Descriptors DTC P0011 - Intake Camshaft Position System Performance

Circuit/System Verification Note: * The engine oil level and the oil pressure are critical to the correct operation of the camshaft position actuator system. Verify that the engine has the correct oil level and the correct oil pressure before continuing with this diagnostic. * The engine oil condition has a major impact on the camshaft actuator system. Debris in the oil can interfere with the camshaft position actuator solenoid and the mechanical camshaft actuator operation. Inspect for dirty or degraded crankcase oil. The engine may require an oil change. Inquire with the customer when the last oil change was performed. You may also monitor the scan tool Engine Oil Life Remaining parameter. Advise the customer an oil change may be required. 1. Ignition ON. 2. Verify the engine has the correct oil level and pressure. Refer to Oil Pressure Diagnosis and Testing See: Engine > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Oil Pressure Diagnosis and Testing. ◊If the oil level and the oil pressure are not correct Repair as necessary ◊If the oil level and the oil pressure are correct Note: If a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor DTC is set, the scan tool Camshaft Position Actuator output control will not function. 3. Verify DTC P0010, P0013, P0016, P0017, P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341, P0365, P0366, P2088, P2089, P2090 or P2091 is not set.

DTC Descriptors DTC P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean ( most likely that is what u need , u can try getting mass airflow cleaner , they sell mass air flow sensor cleaner at advance auto

P0171 * Mass air flow (MAF) sensor signal skewed-If the Short Term Fuel Trim parameter changes greater than 20 % when the MAF sensor is disconnected, refer to DTC P0101 See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > P Code Charts > Powertrain Management. * Fuel contamination-Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis See: Fuel > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis. * Missing, restricted, or leaking exhaust components-Refer to Symptoms - Engine Exhaust See: Exhaust System > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Symptoms - Engine Exhaust. * Malfunctioning fuel injectors-Refer to Fuel Injector Solenoid Coil Test See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Fuel Injector Solenoid Coil Test. * Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and improper connections * Insufficient fuel in the tank * Low fuel pressure-Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Fuel System Diagnosis. * Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, the throttle body, and the injector O-rings. * Leaks in the air induction system and the air intake ducts * Missing air filter element * Cracked EVAP canister * Evaporative pipes obstructed or leaking * The crankcase ventilation system for leaks-Refer to Crankcase Ventilation System Inspection/Diagnosis (LCV) See: Positive Crankcase Ventilation > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Crankcase Ventilation System Inspection/DiagnosisCrankcase Ventilation System Inspection/Diagnosis (LTG) See: Positive Crankcase Ventilation > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Crankcase Ventilation System Inspection/Diagnosis.

DTC Descriptor DTC P0455 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected Circuit/System Description The engine control module (ECM) tests the evaporative emission (EVAP) system for a large leak or restrictions to the purge path in the EVAP system. When the enabling criteria has been met, the ECM commands the EVAP vent solenoid valve and purge solenoid valve ON, allowing vacuum into the EVAP system. The ECM monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor voltage to verify that the system is able to reach a predetermined level of vacuum within a set amount of time.

Diagnostic Aids * Inspect for a loose, missing, damaged, or incorrect fuel fill cap. * Inspect for a damaged fuel filler neck seal surface. * A blockage or restriction in the EVAP purge solenoid valve, purge pipe, EVAP canister, or vapor pipe, can cause this DTC to set. * The EVAP system can be filled with smoke more quickly and completely by opening the system opposite the end where the smoke is injected. For example, when injecting smoke at the service port remove the fuel fill cap, or temporarily leave the vent open, until smoke is observed, then close the system and continue testing. If using a fuel cap adapter at the filler neck, use the J 41413-VLV at the service port to allow the system to fill faster. * To help locate intermittent leaks using the GE 41413-A move all EVAP components while observing smoke with the GE 41413-SPT. * Individual components can be isolated and tested using adapters in the J 41413-300. * When servicing the EVAP system, test pressure must not exceed 13 in H20 (0.5 PSI) as pressure in excess of this could cause system components to perform inaccurately. * A condition may exist where a leak in the EVAP system only exists under a vacuum condition. This type of leak may be detected by using the scan tool Purge/Seal function to create a vacuum in the EVAP system and then observe the FTP Sensor parameter for vacuum decay.

what you need to do

1- Change oil & filter , make sure oil clean,

2- inspect the wires to the cam sensor

3- Change the MASS Air flow sensor ( very common failure on malibu )

4- Check vacuum lines for evap system, either vacuum line leaking or bad evap solenoids

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had pay 100 for diagnostic test was different from your answer

I m sorry But my answers were based on the codes you supplied to me and what you described the problem is .

Unfortunately , i can not see , hear or touch the car since i m far away , that is the best i can do based on the info and faults supplied to me .

I understand the diagnostic that cost you $100 , he took his time and tested all possibilities of this issue and will be more accurate than me , if he has the luxury of working on the car physically

I have listed few things to check, but you never came back to tell me what was the test results and like mentioned the post is open so we can go back and forth .

In diagnostic sometimes there is no one answer with out checking and testing and eliminating causes

If your not satisfied with my answer , i can send your post , to customer service and get you a refund , just let me know.

Thank you

Chad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please send to customer service I'm sorry

Sorry we could not help this time , but we appreciate you using us and hope you will in future

JA value your business and i certainly do also

I will send it right now for you

Thanks

Chad Farhat