Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 1998 chevy 1500 with a 5.7 litre engine. I was

Customer Question

i have a 1998 chevy 1500 with a 5.7 litre engine. I was driving it when it shuttered, acted like it had no power, and then cut off. It has not run since. I have checked the fuel pressure, it was 60 psi when cranking. the distributor cap, rotor button, pick up in the distributor, coil, and ignition module is fine. The crank sensor is also fine. I have ran out of ideas of what to try.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 1 year ago.

Will it start and run on starting fluid? Have you done a compression or leak down test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have not done any of those yet

If you have proper fuel pressure and proper spark and it will not run we do a leak down test to check and see if there is an issue with the timing. If that checks out we do a compression check to verify no internal engine damage is present. If you could run and check to see if it will start on starting fluid and also check if there is spark that will be the first step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is spark because we put fuel on a spark plug and set it on top of the motor and when i tried to crank it, the spark plug caught fire. The distributor was just pulled completely out and the gear on the bottom of it is worn down pretty good. i will try the starting fluid in a little bit

Perfect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will not start with starting fluid, compression and leak down test are ok.

What readings did you get with the compression and leak down test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did it earlier and didn't write them down but I know they where good

Well something is wrong here. If you did the test with the results that you stated it will run. Maybe I am missing something. I will go ahead and opt out. Please stand by another expert will help you shortly.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Replace the spark plugs and try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already done that
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

When? When you removed them to do the compression test, did any smell like gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced them when everything first happened
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you have good compression, good spark and it won't even run on starting fluid and the spark plugs are clean, it appears to me that either the ignition timing is off or you have more than 2 spark plug wires crossed.

The starting fluid should have substituted for a faulty fuel system and it should have started for at least a few seconds on starting fluid if the ignition was working properly granted of course the engine compression is good, which you said was

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has me stumped too. I'll go back through some things tomorrow and Creech them again
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Changed complete intake on truck along with coil and ignition module. Now it starts, runs for a second and cuts back off. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anybody have any ideas on the last question
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

No, I'll opt out, maybe another expert has a different idea.