Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My daughter's 96 cavalier was "shuddering" at idle. she took

Customer Question
it to the local garage-...
my daughter's 96 cavalier was "shuddering" at idle. she took it to the local garage- they said the timing chain tensioner was shot and it needed a tune up. I haven't changed a timing chain on anything in 30 years, so I'm researching if this is something a tinkerer like me wants to tackle... how difficult of a project is this considered to be?
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: 168,000... runs a little rough.
JA: What year is your Cavalier?
Customer: 96
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything- I've been at the firehouse for the past 48 hours- just got home. the car is still at the garage
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
6/15/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Ron Z., - Chevy Tech - replied 1 year ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

The Labor Time Guide calls for 4.8 hours to replace the timing chain (add 1.2 hours if the vehicle has A/C). It's not "that" bad of a job, but a lot of other items need to be removed to gain access- exhaust, oil pan, front cover, etc. If you have previous timing chain experience, this may be a job you can handle. Due to the year, the repair manual isn't as detailed as it could be... but I can give you what I have so you can take a look and see if it's something you'd like to tackle. Download the repair procedure here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyajme4xreoua7z/cav-tc.pdf?dl=0

If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

..

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -