CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
Experience:  AUTO TECH at G&M EXXON
83135375

Changed brake booster on 1997 Chevy C1500. Got brake lights

Customer Question

Changed brake booster on 1997 Chevy C1500. Got brake lights to work - won't shift out of park.
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: Have brake lights. Have not checked codes.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. Brake booster went out. Changed it and problems started.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Wiggled brake light switch and still looking for problem.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: When the booster went out, my foot was on the brake and the brake pedal popped back at me. Then, no brakes. Brake booster changed after having vehicle towed home and problems started.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 1 year ago.

Hello Im Chris and I will assist you. The problem is most likely your brake light switch. Its required to allow the car to shift out of park.

check the connector at the switch to make sure its good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem was the brake light switch not shimmed up far enough.
Any suggestions on the repair?

Suggestions on replacing brake light switch?

just make sure you adjust it properly. Install it all the way in with the pedal down and then release the pedal, it will push it to the position it wants it.

If I have answered all your questions please rate me so I can get credit for my time. I will leave this open for follow up questions if needed. Thank You and Good Luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suggestions on shimming brake light switch.

Give me a second im finishing up with someone else you dont shim it you adjust it. BRB

Is this your switch or is it a flat looking one with a hole in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had a hole in it, slipped over brake pedal and locked into rod.

Replace it. that one doesnt have an adjustment. You can also try reinstalling it maybe its not sitting good. Either way its cheap not expensive.