Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I own a 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Dr. Sedan with a 2.2cu

Customer Question

I own a 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Dr. Sedan with a 2.2cu inch 4 cylinder engine. Recently, it does not start easily after it has been parked for several hours. I must crank the engine for about 30 seconds before the engine will turn over, and start. Often it takes several minutes, before it starts. A young friend at a local parts store, used a paper clip to read the computer on my cavalier, and told me to go online and see what GM says about codes 22 and 24. Those codes might be causing my starting problem. Several friends have told me that I might need a new fuel pump, or other parts to solve my problems. Maybe you can help me understand what is happening with my Chevy, and how I can fix those problems. My name is***** am 75 years old in July, and I live in Hartford, Connecticut. Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the code 22 can cause this problem as that code is saying the TPS ( throttle position sensor ) is giving a bad signal to the computer

make sure there are NO vacuum leaks including the vacuum lines off the manifold port if that checks out put the idle back where it was then replace the TPS and TPS electrical connector and splice in the new TPS connector wires to the existing wires one at a time so you do not mix them up

that should correct this issue you are having

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.