HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 96 tracker 5 speed. the AC compressor just went

Customer Question

I have a 96 tracker 5 speed. the AC compressor just went out. I can get it to come on when I go direct from the battery. the ac is charged. Do you have any ideas? the fuse is OK.
JA: How is the air flow? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: Air flow is fine all hoses are connected correctly
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Would love to I have always worked on my vehicles from work to play to drag cars
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: It is old but very dependable. I haven't had any running issues. It doesn't look the best in the world but it travels well on the mountain trails etc. It is used primarily as a hunting vehicle
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, since you arent getting power to the compressor, you need to trace the circuit. See if the low pressure switch has battery voltage and jump across the switch if it does. The compressor should come on. If there is no power at the low pressure switch, you may have an issue with the ac clutch relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ac clutch relay is OK Where is the low pressure switch located?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

It is a dual pressure switch. Do you have power at two of the ac relay pins when the ac is on? If you jump across the relay will the compressor come on? Do the cooling fans come on when the ac is turned on? The switch is located at the dryer under the hood as shown as number 9 in this attachment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The compressor does come on when the relay is jumped. I am sorry but I can't continue at this time My mother-in-law just arrived for dinner. Can we continue at another time?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Yes thats fine ill be on for awhile or tomorrow after 2pm PST. CHeck for two power sources at the relay with the ac on

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.