How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask K. Wiggins Your Own Question
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Chevy
Satisfied Customers: 2867
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
Type Your Chevy Question Here...
K. Wiggins is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to replace the rear main seal on an 8.1 L chevy. What

Customer Question

I need to replace the rear main seal on an 8.1 L chevy. What tool do i need to remove it and do I need a different one to install it
JA: What is the model of your '2147481646 Chevy?
Customer: Sorry it a GMC 2003 I think a 4500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm just the gopher my son is the mechanic, he told me to try and find the correct tool. Someone else has replaced it and it still leaks.
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? What color is the fluid?
Customer: My son has been certified mechanic for 15 years, when he tells me what he needs I don't question him
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Probably, but for now just the part number of the tool I need to order. Like I say, I'm just the gopher.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you'll need a serate remover and installation tool in most cases. IF the seal was installed wrong you may be able to get it out with a regular seal puller.

Both tools are made by Kent moore The remover is J-43320 and installer is J-42849 (clicking on blue area will take you to page where they can be purchased)

They are expensive new and do come up on eBay often so you may want to check there or if it's a one time deal see if your local GM dealer would possibly rent you the tool.