Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My gauge cluster is not working : I've been building the

Customer Question
My gauge cluster is not...
My gauge cluster is not working
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've been building the truck Everything in the truck works except the gauge cluster, took the dash apart to change the hvac blend actuator, and before I plugged it all back in I decided to check to make sure everything works (most of everything was plugged in aside from center console and seats) everything works but the cluster does nothing but light the service engine light very dim
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just tested for power to the cluster
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
6/3/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to help you with your cluster concern we are going to need complete information. Need to know the year and model of your Chevy. Post back when you can with this and I will have a look at the wiring diagrams and see if we can help you determine the cause.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500hd Duramax 6.6l

Start first with Checking the power and ground feeds to the Instrument Panel Cluster . There have been lots of problems with the ground circuit which is located on the back of the engine on the left side. Power is feed on the pink and orange wires (pins B9 and B11) . There is one other ground as well shown in the wiring diagram enclosed in the link below. Copy and paste the link you your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cluster%20Jun%203.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
using a power probe, it's telling me that there is ground at the orange wire on the cluster but 11.4v at the fuse in the box under the hood

That may very well be your problem, the Orange wire needs to be hot. What happens if you provide power to it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing

Okay go back and recheck your grounds and if the ground check okay then you are likely looking at a failed cluster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The wire is getting ground at the plug that plugs into the cluster without the cluster plugged in, I have 2 clusters both do not work

Well what happens if you cut it at the connector and then add battery voltage to it? The pink wire needs t be hot as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing happens

Well if both the pink and the orange wire have battery voltage and your ground is okay then the cluster should work dont you think?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The black and white has ground, the pink and orange have 11.4 when I put it there wit the power probe and the key turned on nothing happens
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why would I be getting a ground signal from the orange wire, I get no signal from the pink wire
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree the cluster should work, do you think it's a voltage issue?

If the orange wire was actually grounded dont you think the fuse would blow? Both the orange and pink wire need battery voltage . It sure sounds like a voltage issue or a bad cluster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything else in the truck works great, yesterday I was getting power to the orange wire today I'm getting ground

Are you sure your two cluster are not just bad. Its very common for the clusters to fail. If you cut the orange wire a inch or so back from the connector and recheck the voltage on the wire coming out of the cluster is it still showing a ground?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the truck is all apart, it's a 2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500 body, with a 2003 Silverado 6.6l diesel swapped into it, the Harness from the front headlights to the rear taillights is from the Duramax, there is not a stitch of Avalanche wiring harness left in the truck so essentially it is a 2003 Silverado Duramax, the interior is totally disassembled I only plugged some things in radio, cluster hvac 4x4 selector, dimmer, headlight switch, the engine was just put in the starter is not bolted up no fuel plug or transfer case plugged in yet everything is just kinda hanging off, I just plugged some interior things in to make sure we had power to everything before we started to put it all together and everything works EXCEPT the cluster. Would this have anything to do with the cluster?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it shows ground right from the pin on the connector without the cluster even plugged in

Well its very likely something to do with the wiring from the change over but at this point I do not think I can fix it from here. Im going to open the post back up for you and hopefully someone else has done this type of change over.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you

Your very welcome and thank you as well.,

Ron, ASE Certified Technician