AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My son just bought a Chevy 1500 4WD 2002 model. The previous

Customer Question

My son just bought a Chevy 1500 4WD 2002 model. The previous owner did a bad job of wiring in lights, amp and other things. Today the ground cable from the battery cable going to frame ground got hot enough to burn the insulation off. Now has ABS light on, the brake pedal gos to the floor and the instrument panel is not working correctly. I understand a wiring issue for the panel and ABS but what effect could all this have on the hydraulic circuit of the brakes?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. A bad ground or an electrical issue will not cause a brake hydraulic issue. This is going to be something unrelated to the wiring or bad ground issue you are talking about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I normally agree. However the brakes stopped working right after the ground cable burnt. I agree very odd. Is there anything in the electrical part of the ABS system that could have failed to cause the brake pedal go to the floor?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

The ABS pump could have failed.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the ABS pump located and is it electrically controlled ?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Please send your VIN so I can provide you with that information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002 Chevy 1500 4WD
Vin# *****
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

YES, it is electronically controls.

The ABS pump is located on the left side frame rail under the vehicle.

Here is a picture.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I compare the electrical circuit from another truck to this one. The electronics are good. I'm going to swap the ABS pump to the other unit to see if the issue happens on the other truck. That should tell me whether or not the pump is the problem.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good!