BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My 1997 Silverado won't start. It was running fine when I

Customer Question

My 1997 Silverado won't start. It was running fine when I parked it. When I tried to start it the next morning, none of the lights, gauges, and ignition worked. Even the electrical door locks failed to work. The battery is fully charged. As far as I can tell all the fuses are good. It has over 185,000 miles.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: The truck is parked on the street on a slight incline. I have a multimeter, a small set of sockets, a screwdriver, and very little mechanical experience or confidence. I am willing to crawl around underneath if necessary, however, there isn't a lot of clearance. I am game to do as much as I can.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: It's green.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Oh, and it's a 4x4.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the battery is good and there is no power then you may have a failure in the positive battery cable. The cable can fail internally and cause this. If you have a voltage meter then you need to test the voltage at the fuse box under the hood. If there is voltage there then you may have a grounding issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will try testing the voltage at the fuse box under the hood. So, voltage at the fuse box tells me that I may have a grounding issue, which I suppose could be in one of many places. Does no voltage at the fuse box confirm your theory that the positive battery cable has failed, and I suppose needs to be replaced?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

If there is no voltage at the main power wire to the fuse box then either the cable is bad or the wire from the cable had shorted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no voltage at the fuse box. I isolated the cable that runs from the positive battery terminal to the fuse box. The ohmmeter read 0.0.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Did you find out where that cable is losing voltage? It must be open at some point or shorting someplace.