Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 1976 El Camino with bad v8 engine I want to replace

Customer Question
with a 1995 v8 engine...
I have a 1976 El Camino with bad v8 engine I want to replace with a 1995 v8 engine can I ditch the computer. What other parts do I need to buy. I will be using my carburetor a Eldobrock carburetor. Can I use a external electric fuel. Help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
5/26/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there,

What vehicle is the engine coming from, or is it a rebuilt engine?

If it is still a small block with a distributor, that makes it easy.

You can ditch the TBI, and run what you have now.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1995 truck, yes it was recently overhaul but the guy wrecked it and I can buy the Motor and transmission for $400 but I was not planning on using the transmission
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced my distributor with the kind that you can do away with the coil
oh and please when use say TBI please tell me what is TBI I'm sorry
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Later on today I will get pictures of the motor and carburetor and let u know more
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What happen you ask me questions I'm not getting any answers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not getting any answers I'm not happy with this service
I thought for $78 you would get on the computer and stay with me and answer my questions
it said unlimited questions
not a happy customer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what happen to the unlimited questions

Hi again,

Please understand that all of the people on here are people not robots.

They need to sleep, they are not on here 24 hrs a day, just like an email, you may not get immediate response. Especially if the tech is halfway around the world from you.

Works the same in reverse. I don't expect an answer ftom a customer in 5 minutes.

Now, TBI is Throttle body injection. Being out of 1995 truck it probably has that.

You can swap your entire intake and carb etc when you do the engine swap.

You can run a coil in cap HEI distributor if you like, a little less work to do.

The rest should be straight forward.

Regards

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no I'm spending not $26 to talk to you the sales pitch online was $78 was for immediate responds
so I will not do business with you thank but no thank you

Ok, wishing you all the best.

I will opt out now.

Gary

Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

new expert here did you still need help ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No sir had enough from u guys
No way

give me a chance

i would like to change your mind on the service you received before

i will not leave you hanging and will be here right now until you are 100 % satisfied

Chevy Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician

Gary, you might not run into someone right away who knows exactly what you need, that can be less than spectacular. I am a Chevy pro, I know exactly what you need to do.

It will bolt in. You HAVE to use the flywheel off of the 95 motor, and the starter off of the 95. Your old flywheel would make the engine out of balance, and you would run into starter problems. Flywheels and crankshafts changed is 1986 on Chevy 350's But like I said use the 95 flywheel, and starter and blot it in. The 95 wont have a place to bolt up a mechanical fuel pump, use a low pressure electric pump made for an engine with a carburetor. Generic fuel injection pumps put out too much pressure. Mount the fuel pump in the rear and down as low as possible. Use an HEI distributor, it just needs one wire to it, a hot wire that is hot when the ignition is on. If you want max power use a Holley 3310 carburetor, I have used them a lot on this engine. Edelbrock carbs will work too, the Holley will make more power. Be sure your intake matches the 95 heads. Beyond that it is just normal swap in stuff, figuring out what brackets to use, and so on. I would use all the 95 stuff in that area I could. I have swapped a lot of Chevy engines so I have been through this before. if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician