chevygeorge
chevygeorge, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Technician for over 25 years
93784238

My tail gate cable on left side does not want to move easily

Customer Question

My tail gate cable on left side does not want to move easily the right is fine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  chevygeorge replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I can assist you today. If I am understanding correctly, your cable is not pivoting freely so it can fold when the tailgate is raised? This is an easy fix, as these had several recalls over the years and was probably just over tightened at some point. Simple back off the 13mm slightly, until it moves freely.
If you give me the last 8 of the VIN, I can check to make sure you do not any open recall with the support cables.
Ok. Sorry, I see you are not talking about the cables themselves, but the latch assembly. These are actuated by rods within the gate itself. Let me see if I can pull up a diagram.
I think I'm on the same page. You replaced the latch at the end of the tailgate? What I suspect you have going on is the retainer on the handle is broken, not allowing the latch to move far enough to release. I've attached a document to detail, what I suspect is going on. In the 4th illustration where the rod attaches, there are plastic retainers that hold the rod attached. These commonly break and cause your issue. A tip for removing the handle bezel, pull down, then out at the top, to release the top first, then slide the bezel up over the handle.
These are the guys here.http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351572220483?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Please take the time to rate me positively, or let me know how I can earn a positive rating. If you have any follow up questions, feel free to ask. George
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thught my one charge would allow nü
we can continue our conversation even after you have given a rating.
I see you with this one request, and it is still open.