Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I left the switch in on position which resulted in the

Customer Question
battery dying. I replaced the...
I left the switch in on position which resulted in the battery dying. I replaced the battery checked the alternator and starter. They are all good but I still have to get a jump. The service theft deterrent system message read today and now a jump doesn't work either. Is there anything I can do to fix it myself? Chevy dealership wants 50$ just to check it out
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It's a 2007 impala LS flex fuel with a 3500 motor.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: The change oil message keep showing up but I had the oil changed like 3 days after it came on. Also the brake assist, traction control, and abs messages been on since I bought this car in January
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
5/24/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tim's Auto Repair
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.are you saying it will start up with a jump now?but without a jump it does nothing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct
what is the year and model?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2007 Chevy impala LS flex fuel
ok...do you have anything to test with?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not at present moment but I will tomorrow morning
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would I need
well..if it is starting with a jump,we know that the problem isnt the car itself
the problem is for sure one of two possible things.
1-the new battery just isnt any good ...or
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's reading check theft deterrent system
2- the battery cables ...clean the battery cables at all 4 points,,the battery + and -,the engine- and the starter +..if it is the cables and it does start with the jump,i would think it is the cable ends at the battery[if that new battery is in fact good]
if the theft was preventing it from starting,,it also wouldnt start with a jump.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Took the battery back and had it checked 4 times. It was good. At this point it won't crank with a jump and that's when showed check theft deterrent system. About 1:09pm today. But I returned the jump pack back
all the jump pack is doing is sending power to the battery cables..so,it either isnt getting power from that battery or it isnt going though the cables ends
if the secuity light is noew on and it wont run,,you will need to do a relearn
Programming Immobilizer System Components 10-Minute Immobilizer Relearn This 10-minute relearn procedure will relearn the prerelease password ***** the challenge/response data between the theft deterrent module (TDM) and the engine control module (ECM). 1. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle. 2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. 3. Ensure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle. 4. With a scan tool, select Request Info. under Service Programming System and follow the scan tool on-screen instructions. 5. Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect the scan tool to a Techline Terminal with the current Service Programming System (SPS) software. 6. On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal on-screen instructions. Ensure the correct programming selection is chose based on component being replaced or programmed. For this procedure, go to the V.T.D. Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn menu and choose the Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn, ECM, or PK3 Replaced selection. 7. Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and reconnect the scan tool to the vehicle. 8. With a master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. 9. With a scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programming System. 10. At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure. Important: * The scan tool will initially display 12 Minutes. The first 2 minutes allow the scan tool to initialize the appropriate control module. The remaining 10 minutes is the relearn timer. * On some vehicles the security indicator may be illuminated for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure. Observe the scan tool, after approximately 10 minutes the scan tool will display "Programming Successful, Turn OFF Ignition". The vehicle is now ready to relearn the key information and/or the passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. 11. Turn OFF the ignition and wait 2 minutes. 12. With a master vehicle key, turn the ignition to the RUN position for 15 seconds, then start the vehicle. The TDM and ECM have now relearned the pre-release password ***** the challenge/response data. 13. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. That's what I need to know how to do. Thanks for your time and help.
you are very welcome
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic