Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

06 chevy avalanche 2500 8.1 turns over, starts idels a few

Customer Question

06 chevy avalanche 2500 8.1 turns over, starts idels a few seconds then dies, replaced fuel pump, still have problem wont keep running
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: engine starts idels a few seconds then dies
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replace fuel pump, no data for code read as battery went dead while sitting
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: not that I'm aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Do you have access to a scan tool that will tell you RPM data? It's possible that you have a bad crank position sensor and it is allowing the engine to start but it won't give enough signal to keep it running.With a scan tool you can check for an RPM signal while cranking, and once it starts (until it dies). If the signal is erratic, I would inspect the crank sensor.On a possibly related note, how long was it sitting before it died? Sometimes a bad instrument cluster will cause not only the start stall that you describe, but also a quickly dying battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I read that also thanks. I flipped the coin thought maybe cam position sensor. any comment ? you would suggest crank sensor first?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
It really depends on what kind of signals you are getting from the scan tool. It really could be either. Generally if the cam sensor is dead it won't start at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jared, I'm heading home soon to replace the crank position sensor hopefully hit it! if not I will be hooked up with the code reader and see what happens... I'm sure I will have questions.. Do you guys have tech staff familiar with Cadillac 2011 CTS V? having some problems and not happy with the local Cadillac service dept. Thanks, Matt
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
I'd be happy to hear your question about the cadillac. As far as knowing whether we have other experts who know much about cadillacs, as experts with just answer we are all independent contractors. In most cases we don't know one another or our experience levels.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to rate. That's how JustAnswer compensates us for our time. Thanks!