Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

Chevrolet Venture LS: I'm working on a 2002 venture van. My

Customer Question

I'm working on a 2002 venture van. My temp gauge only works when I reset the cel, it will work for a day or 2, then it will always say it's running cold, then the next day the cel will come on saying the same code p0116. I have replaced thermostat, coolant temp sensor, temp sensor connector, iat sensor, and checked the wiring going to the map sensor, flushed the system, and I am having the same problem. Suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,sorry to hear about your car problem .
Fault Code DefinitionEngine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance ProblemWhat does Mean?The Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor measures the rise and fall of the Engine Coolant Temperature. This provides critical data needed for the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to control the Air Fuel Ratio, the Ignition Spark Timing, the cooling fans, and many components of the Emissions Control Systems. The Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor converts the coolant temperature into a voltage that is high when the engine is cold and low as the engine warms up.Code P0116 is set when the Powertrain Control module sees irrational out of specification voltage signals from the coolant temperature circuit.SymptomsCheck Engine Light will illuminateIn many cases, no abnormal symptoms may be noticedIn some cases, the engine may be hard starting and/or get poor fuel economyCommon Problems That Trigger the P0116 CodeDefective Engine Coolant Temperature SensorRusty and/or corroded Engine CoolantFaulty or corroded Engine Coolant Temperature wiring or connectionsCommon MisdiagnosesEngine Coolant Temperature Sensor is replaced when the real cause is rusty coolantEngine Coolant Temperature Sensor is replaced when the real cause is a poor connection or chafed wiringEngine Coolant Temperature Sensor is replaced when the real problem is in the Cooling System
I saw you mentioned you flushed the system ,did that coolant look rusty to you when you flushed it ?
Have you also checked wiring goin to the temp sensor for any damage ,usually they are close to the exhaust manifold that creates a lot of heat and burn or shaft the wires ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was rusty when I flushed it, I let it run till clear, then used a cleaner, ran it through the system and refilled with 50/50. Rechecked a few days ago and it is still orange and not rusty colored. I replaced connector to ect sensor.
It seems you done all the right steps so far ,the next thing will be to check the wires going from the ECT to the ECM for damage ,if you unplug the ECT wires and unplug the ECM side harness & locate the wires for the ect and OHM that out using a voltmeter .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try that .
Ok sounds good ,let me know
Hope things worked out for you, please let me know, A 5 Star Positive rating is appreciated .Thanks