Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

P0446 I put in new evap vent solenoid and new canister and

Customer Question
new gas cap still...
P0446 I put in new evap vent solenoid and new canister and new gas cap still code still coming on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: After driving about 40-50miles, error p0446 code comes up. Already new venture solenoid, new gas cap, new canister, checked the lines, and smoked the whole system, found no leaks, but the codes still coming up, what else can it be?
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, the mechanic will. It's been at 2 different shops, the 2nd mechanic changed the canister hose, canister, and smoked it, but the codes is still coming up. The car runs like brand new I don't know what else is left to replace
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
5/15/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist has the purge solenoid been checked??? Roy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it has a brand new one from GM on it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Brand new purge valve venue canisters Brian you guys can check all the lines and talk to system no leak shows and the code still coming up
Chevy Mechanic: Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with this code. I will try to help.
I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.First off, I don't see it listed here, may I ask what year and model Chevy you have? Sorry if I'm just missing it.Thanks
Sonny
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2001 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3 in it
Gotcha. May I ask do you have a test light or a bolt meter?
Can you start the Tahoe and unplug the vent valve and see if one of the wires has power?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Already done he does have power it works fine I checked it with this Scandal also
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check it with scanner it shows is working fine
Gotcha. Then you have one of two problems. A small leak. Which is the most likely cause. Maybe it was missed when it was smoked. Or a defective computer. :-/
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last week I had it done at 2 mechanic shop they can not find a leak
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They said the canister was plugged I'm sorry clogged and they replace the canister also
Ya but a clogged canister wouldn't cause this code. Unless some of the charcoal got in the valve. Has the filter for the vent valve been replaced as well?
You haven't had your fuel pump replaced recently have you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No we did not even know there's a filter for the vent valve and we don't even know where is it located the mechanic is telling me there's no filter if there is a filter where should I look for it where is the filter located
If you follow the hose up from the valve it's a little black box on the end of it. Usually the hose goes up above the transmission. But you kind of have to follow it as it has probably been moved a few times. But usually it's a pain to get to
I'm sorry I just realized that was an update that was done later on according to tsb that came out. Your may not have the filter but should have it installed if it doesn't.
Also just to make sure, the vent valve underneath the vehicle was replaced? Not the purge valve under the hood?
just to let you know I have to log off for the night but I'll be back on really early tomorrow. If you ask anything else I'll get it first thing or it's possible someone else may jump in.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Brand new Vent solenoid valve fron GM has been replaced, that was the 1st thing done
Ok I was just checking that it was indeed the vent valve underneath that was replaced. Many have confused the vent valve with the purge valve under the hood.
That being said you may want to check out the purge valve. It can also cause this code if it's malfunctioning. It isn't to expensive to replace either. I had one pickup I ended up having to replace it to get the code to go away perminatly. Its not common but if it was malfunctioning it's possible to vent the smoke into the intake and they never would of seen it leaking.
Just s thought.
Let me know if you test it or what so I can help further.Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are u back at work
What's up? I'm here
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any suggestions for what I should do regarding t P0446 evap leak
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The car has been two different mechanic shop put the new Evap solenoid new canister check the hose new gas cap smoke the system shows no leak light still coming on
Just checking if you got my last post about the purge valve and what it could do when you smoke the system?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the other text said purge valve got nothing to do with it who is the Evap solenoid when we smoke the system it shows no leak
The other text? You mean tech? Technician?
If another tech said that, they are wrong. It does. It's part of the evaporate system as well. And I guarantee if it fails in such a way it can cause this code. I had a 2009 Silverado with this code and that was the fault. Mind you only one vehicle have I had do this. Usually they set there own code. But this one set a p0446 which is basically a leak in the evaporate system. 99% of the time it's vent solinoid related. But obviously with yours it's not. I would look very closely at the purge valve. Actually if it were my vehicle I'd just replace it now so I could have a completely new evaporate system. Since you replaced everything else.
It's only $16 on rockauto.com.
But it's up to you. If the other techs are right, and there is absolutely no leak. And the vent valve is working properly then you have a bad computer. But I'd lean torwards the purge valve my self.
Does that make sense?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The purge valve is the one towards underneath the car that gets lots of mud in it, right?? I'll have the tech change that and get back to you..
Um, from your description it sounds like you are talking about the vent valve. The vent valve is underneath the vehicle. Almost directly on the evaporate canister. And gets pretty dirty.
The purge valve is located on the engine. Directly behind the alternator on the drivers side of the intake. You may have to take the plastic peice off that covers the intake and you will see the purge valve. So it's under the hood. But rarely gets mud on it unless you do some serious mudding.
Hi, I was wondering how your Chevy is faring? Did that fix the problem?I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm still having the same code coming up you guys have any more ideas of what I should do to this car
you had the purge valve replaced and it's still coming up?
And you are absolutely sure they replaced the vent valve and not the wrong part?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the code is for Evap solenoid that's the first thing we replaced purchase depart from Chevy dealer oem part
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Use the scanner check the sensor what shows is working fine
you just had the purge valve replaced as well?
if I may recap a second.
The vent valve, gas cap, evap canister, purge valve, and the vent valve lines have all been replaced and confirmed to be working correctly. Also the evap system has been smoked by 2 shops and confirmed no leaks.
Correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it shows no leak all those parts has been replaced
Ok. The only other possibility, if all that I stated is indeed good, is a defective computer. I find it hard to believe but it can happen. I would first have Gm re-flash your computer. If that doesn't work you will have to replace it.
I'm sorry but unfortunately it's the only possibility left. I personally feel there is a pin hole leak somewhere that the techs missed when they smoked it. It's hard to see every possible part when you have it all together. But I could be wrong and the computer could indeed be the cause.
Let me know what you decide to do so I can continue to assist.And I do strive for 5star service.
Thanks
Sonny
Ok I have one more thing for you to check before going after the computer. Have you checked or replaced the fuel tank pressure sensor? It's located on the fuel pump module.
If you can, with a scanner read the value it's giving both at key on engine off and at idle and running down the road.
If you can let me know what it says or just replace it, it's up to you. But let me know.Thanks
Sonny
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check on that tomorrow
Ok just le me know. Thanks
Somny
Did you get a chance to check on the fuel tank pressure sensor?Thanks
Sonny
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech.