Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Headgasket in a 2003 Chevy cavalier with the 2.2L JA:

Customer Question

Blown headgasket in a 2003 Chevy cavalier with the 2.2L
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Blown headgasket in a 2003 Chevy cavalier with the 2.2L
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. I'm researching before I dig in.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,Ok, this is a fairly big job at 9.8 hours labor for an experienced tech. The alternator, power steering pump, compressor all come off to remove the timing cover. Then the intake manifold, exhaust manifold and downpipe come off, then remove the valve cover, then the timing chain comes off, then finally remove the cylinder head.It does require several speciality tools as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What specialty tools are required?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,Off the top of my head - torque wrench, torque angle meter, timing chain tensioner compression setting tool, inverted torx sockets, harmonic balancer holder, and most likely will need a torch to heat the exhaust manifold bolts to remove them
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.