GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2012 Silverado V6 4.3 LS Engine Hot AC tuned off light only

Customer Question

2012 Silverado V6 4.3 LS Engine Hot AC tuned off light only happens in a patch of hiway as 5 mile stretch on I 10 in the Houston area
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,To make sure I understand, are you saying your ac only turns off on a specific stretch of I10 in Houston, never happens anywhere else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes sir
dash thermometer stops working (goes to ZERO) but engine is not hot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
theres is also an area in central texas that it happens off I 35 seems lile a cell coverage/on star thing but i do not and have never subscribed to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does not happen everyday but it happens enough
it happened yesterday and this morning before that it was last tuesday
im am able to reset it by unhooking the battery but was recently told that aint good
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,does yours have automatic climate controls or manual controls
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,nevermind, I see that it is digital controls. Ok, can I get the last 8 of the vin number to check for any service bulletins that may explain this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cz267784
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,Do you have any type of aftermarket tuner/programmer connected to the data link connector at lower left below steering column
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sir
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, Hmmm, definitely a strange one. Ok, let me make a call to GM tech support to see if they have encountered anything like this before not involving OnStar and see if there was a resolution. My first thought is that there is some type of RF interference that the shielded serial data lines at the climate control unit are not protecting it from. A bit of a stretch, but possible. Give me a couple of hours on this and see what I can find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you so much
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome