Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 Z71: I have a 2005 Chevrolet Suburban

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 that will not start. Starter will not turn over. I have done extensive troubleshooting and now believe I have a PCM issue. I can jump the starter relay and the starter will turn over. I have power at the CRNK fuse. There is no ground at 85 or power at 86 on the relay once the ignition switch is turned on. Replaced the Backup/Neutral Safety switch but same condition. Scan tool times out trying to establish link. Also noticed that the fuel gauge low light is on and the range indicator shows 4 horizontal dashes as does the MPG on the DIC. Verified fuel in tank (at least 7 Gallons). Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist I attached a diagram for you to view. have you verified power to 2 terminals on the starter relay??? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is power on 30 only
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
check both ign a and E fuses in the fuse box with a voltmeter and be sure there is power on both sides. these are the 2 fuses that power up the relay as you should see if you looked at the diagram Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep, they both have power
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
if they are good, the only issue is the park/neutral switch. if it is not adjusted correctly, it will not supply voltage to the relay. you need to check the pink wire and the dark green wire for power at the park/neutral switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pink has power, I wasn't sure about the green as it was difficult to get to with the switch in place, so I replaced the switch itself. This resulted in no change of the condition.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
still need to check for power. we need to verify. does it have slots for adjustment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, the switch can be sightly moved when the two bolts are loosened. I will get under there right now and double check the dark green wire. I assume it should be hot in park or neutral? or is it hot all the time?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
correct, only in park or neutral. I am hoping it is out of adjustment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 volts on green as well
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you have a harness issue from the switch to the fuse block which feeds that relay. with only 1 power, the relay will not energize and send signal to the solenoid. look around the fuse block and remove it if you can and inspect under it for a damaged connector or pin Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the PCM play a role in this circuit? Or is the harness the most likely the suspect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to wait until morning to get to the fusebox as it is dark her on the east coast of the US.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
the pcm grounds the control side but it can still ground it but there is no power to send to the solenoid from the power missing at the relay. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it. Thanks. This hunt will continue in the morning
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok