Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Equinox LS: My engine light is on, so i took it to

Customer Question
My engine light is on...
My engine light is on, so i took it to auto zone they check it and give me this code P0420. Do i need to replace my catalyst converter.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
5/6/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Ron Z., - Chevy Tech - replied 1 year ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Unfortunately, the P0420 is a fairly straight forward code, and a fairly common problem. This code points to a failing Catalytic Converter. The Oxygen Sensors measure the amount of emissions in the exhaust going into, and then out of the converter. When they see that the converter is not "cleaning" the exhaust enough to meet specs, the Converter is deemed "below threshold" and the P0420 is set. Make sure there are no current cylinder misfires. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. Which, if there were, you should be able to hear. Sounding like a repeating "tick" or "puff" from the exhaust. Usually more prodominate when the engine is cold. Make sure to include the exhaust manifold when checking for leaks/cracks. If these check ok, then most commonly, the Converter is "on it's way out" and will need replacement in the near future. Keep in mind, you will need a replacement converter that meets specs. Those "universal" or "discount" converters sold at some after market parts stores do not meet specs, and will not cure a P0420. If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate or accept my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Hi Leola! I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue?
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -