Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Changed the muti-funtion switch and ignition switch now the

Customer Question
gas gauge dosnt work and...
changed the muti-funtion switch and ignition switch now the gas gauge dosnt work and it wont start.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: before II changed the switches the cruse quite working also the title says 2005 but the multi-function switch I HAD TO GET WAS FOR A 2006. NOW WHEN I turn the switch on it lights all the idiot lights but the gas gauge doesn't wok. also flashes brakes abs fault low gas fault. if I lock the doors on the door they unlock themselves a minute later.
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can turn it over at the start breaker.and when Ijump the start and run breaker it clicks st the rear of the engine and turns on the gas gauge but goes back as soon as Ihit the switch.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: it is a 4dr Colorado and has 142000 miles on it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
5/6/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tim's Auto Repair
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.
what engine do you have? the 2.8 or the 3.5?
does the starter turn the engine?does the security light stay on with the key on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is a 2.8. it doesn't turn over with the key. the security light comes on but goes vout after afew seconds.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this a 2005 Colorado 4 dr but took a 2006 muti-funtion switch.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not received any response on how to fix my problem.
ok,lets try something simple first..remove both battery cables from the battery,touch and hold both the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds,then re-install them back to the battery
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that didn't work
okdoes the starter click or anything when you try to start?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
okare you sure the battery is fully charged?will the starter work with a jump start?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the battery is new. ihave alisle circuit breaker tester when I jump the start tabs it turns over buth only way to make the gas gauge activates is if I jump the run breaker when I turn the key to start it just blinks the idiot lights and turns gas gauge back off.
ok..stand by,i will opt out,maybe omne of the other guys has seen this,,someone will be right with youthanks
Chevy Mechanic: Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Chevy. I will try to help. I'm usually signed on in the mornings up till 3 or 4 pm eastern time. So if I'm logged off just answer and I'll reply when I get back on.
Now as far as your issue, I noticed you said your Colorado is an 2005, but you had to get an 06 switch. May I ask why you had to get a switch for an 06? Did the one for 05 not fit? Did you get a used switch and they only had an 06?
Let me know.
Thanks
Sonny
And can you try something for me, unplug the switch and try starting it. Let me know what happens.
Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the 2005 switch I had was new and didn' have a plug for the auto tans switch the 2006 also new did have the plug. how doI start with out the switch plugged in.
if the 05 wouldn't plug in then I am stumped. I know the 06 had different switches for the auto and the manual and ea had an option for cruise or not but the 05 only differed in that it either had cruise or not. I guess I will have to opt out. sorry
Chevy Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Did you get the problem resolved?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I now have power to every thing but the fuel pump. and the windows on the right side do not work power door locks work. when I checked the fuse in the fuse box no power to the fuel pump fuse or the circuit breaker. is there a fuse link that I may have to check?
Are you checking for power at the fuel pump with the engine cranking?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no with just the switch turned on.what iam wondering is why I don't have any power to the breaker when the diagrams show that one pole should be hot.
The fuel pump would not be powered just with the key on. You'll need to check it while cranking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am also have the problem that my right side windows do not work the left side ones do. I can hear what sounds like something is trying to activate but nothing happens.
That's a separate issue and if you do hear noise from the doors when pressing the window switch then odds are those window motors have failed. The door panels would need to be removed to check for power and ground at the motor connectors while pressing the window switch with the key on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will check them in the morning. before I changed the muti0switch thow my fuel pump tuned on when the switch was turned on I could hear it kick in.
Let me know what you find.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician