Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My 97 Chevy Silverado is bogging out and trying to turn off

Customer Question
when you step on the...
my 97 Chevy Silverado is bogging out and trying to turn off when you step on the gas after maybe 20 miles per hour and it's not going any further and try to shut off when I step on the gas to accelerate I change the fuel pump to fuel filter the gas regulator spark plug and it still doing the same thing I just replace the what other centres where the manifolds and still doing the same
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes every time I take it to mechanic they never find a diagnosis so we just been putting money into it so yes we're trying to do it ourselves more cheaper for us
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: we've changed the fuel regulator sensor inside the motor because that's what they diagnosed it was and then we change the control the sensor on the manifold to change the fuel pump and fuel filter the spark plugs and still nothing yet I'm not trying to put that much money into it and I don't know what to do
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: it idles fine when the truck is on and when we try to take off to accelerate it tries to turn off on us and we can't get past after 40 miles without it not shifting into different gear and then try to turn off on her also
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
5/1/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago
Reggie Whiddon
Hello 97 model do you have the throttle body or thr vortex engine?, the one with thr flat distributor cap?Here are some of the main problems I run into when diagnosing a problem ljke this, you have already replaced thr fuel pump, But have you checked thr pressures, unless you installed a delphi pump thr odds of u getting a bad one or extremely good.
The exhaust could be restricted like say your catalyst converter plugged. Remove both 02 sensors in front of thr converter and drive it, see if change. If you have the vortex engine u need to ck thr Cap and rotor and the cam retard setting using a scan tool, spec should be 0 to 1 degree and it doesn't take much to knock it out a worn dist gear, someone replacing cap. I know on most it looks like there is no adjustment. But if u have to cut the ears on the hold down. Trust me when I tell u ck this setting and correct a scan tool will be required. If it's 5 or more degrees off it will kill thr driveability of truck
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 1 year ago
Have you scanned for codes?
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon