Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

03 chevy trailblazer and my problem is that my ac only blows

Customer Question
HOT AIR! It was working...
03 chevy trailblazer and my problem is that my ac only blows HOT AIR! It was working fine and just went out. Blowers are working properly, properly charged with freon, compressor works, but it blows HOT at any setting I put it on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes & thx
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had the low & high pressure side attended to. High psi side was HIGH and mechanic leveled it out to normal levels on both sides. Freon is in system, compressor and clutch working properly. I took passenger side floor panel/glove panel off and I didn't notice the motor turning on the actuator w/ac on. Could it be my flaps aren't closing or my climate control box gone bad?
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Check engine light came on at the same time my ac stopped working. I had to have my catalytic converter changed, but ac is still blowing HOT!
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
4/30/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
they are 100 % sure the refrigerant is full and to spec ?with it on are the lines cold to the firewall ?is this a dual zone heater ac system or not ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, we had psi gauges set on high & low psi sides. Airlines were cold and yes, it's a dual zone.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would have to disassemble that side of panel to have access
yes but usually just the under steering part of the dash panel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, going to attempt now
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took panel off under steering column and carpeted piece just below climate control box on dr side & I don't see it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just paid for this, so 24hrs for more advice would be too long, sir.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello
Chevy Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Hi. Different expert here. Do you still need help with this? I see your other expert left the chat.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, I do!
Ok. If the temperature does not change at all it is most likely the blend door actuator. The other expert is correct that it is on the drivers side of the heater box. It is behind the instrument panel though. HAve you been able to at least get a visual on it yet?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. How do I get behind the instrument panel?
The instrument panel needs to be removed to replace the actuator. But you should be able to see it by using the diagram that was sent to you. You will not be able to remove it just to check it without removing the instrument panel.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Where are the screws that are holding the instrument panel intact?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only see one at the lighter and two above the dash where speedometer & gauges are located
It is much more involved then that. The entire dashboard has to come out. If equipped the center console needs to be removed. It is actually a big job that pays 8 hours to replace
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the dash panel off that goes around speedometer and climate control box
Ok The radio, instrument cluster, lower knee bolster, hvac control module, center console if equipped, the glove box needs to be removed, the steering column also needs to be lowered.
I have the service manual information on this, that I can convert to PDF format, if you would be interested in step-by-step instructions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, that would help greatly
Ok. There is a 10 dollar charge from the website for the information to be gathered from GM and turned into pdf files, and sent to you through this chat. It is for unlimited pdf files. Are you fine with that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to unplug and turn rotating screw on motors to close heat flappers and to open cold door flappers until I replace motors next weekend.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, thanks. I don't want to be charged again until I absolutely need it for the next stages. Thx!
Ok. SOunds good. Let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which motor on driver's side (from illustration) do I have to unplug and turn manually with a screwdriver, etc to turn flaps for cold air only? We can rule out #2 because I saw it spin as I changed settings from to defrost and back to upper level.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Motor =actuator
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
#2 & #3 are working correctly. #1 and the one on passenger side are the ones that are not working. I turned the passenger's side w/screwdriver. I couldn't get to #1 on driver side. I have a visual and can touch it, but I can't turn rotator or unscrew all bolts to take out.
Hi. Number 1 is the temp actuator. Is your vehicle equipped with dual temp control?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I figured out that #1 is the temp actuator for the left side and the one on the passenger's side is the temp acuator for that side. My problem is removing #1 for replacement or taking the front cover off to turn screw to allow cold air in.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll probably play around w/it again this weekend. I pretty much figured out most of this due to either the timing of response and/or the lack of illustration of what to remove without additional charges. Thanks for now.
SOrry about the time delay but I am not online 24/7. The entire dash and then the dash carrier need to be removed before accessing te actuator. CLICK HERE for instrument panel removal. CLICK HERE for instrument panel carrier removal.
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician