Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevrolet 1500 Silverado truck: Glove box is in locked position…

Customer Question
Glove box is in locked...
Glove box is in locked position and opening rod will will not release; please, help with way I can remove glove box and replace, thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
4/27/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Roy Scarlett,
 replied 2 years ago
Roy Scarlett
Hello, my name is***** and I would like to try to help you with your problem. Do you have the key for the lock and do you know what happened when the problem occured?
Roy, there is no key, note this is a 2002 Silverado. There is only a handle that you open to engage rod to release lock / I have removed the three or four nuts at bottom of box of which normally I think release box to drop down. however, since the lock mechism is engaged the box wiil not come out.lock
Chevy Mechanic: Roy Scarlett,
 replied 2 years ago
Can you get to the back of the lock where the catch and latch are?
No,
The box is in the closed and latched position.
Chevy Mechanic: Roy Scarlett,
 replied 2 years ago
I ask that because some times the glove box door can be pulled out at the bottom to enable you to reach the back of the locking mechanism.
Chevy Mechanic: Roy Scarlett,
 replied 2 years ago
The handle does not turn at all?
I have removed the three of four retaining nuts at the bottom of box, but since the box is in the closed and latched position, there is no way to get to the latch.
The handle is a lift handle and it will not engage the rod mechinism to release the latch.
Chevy Mechanic: Roy Scarlett,
 replied 2 years ago
I have had this problem with different year vehicles and have been able to get enough room to remove the 2 screws that hold the latch to the dash panel. Sorry to say you may need a locksmith or the dealer.
Chevy Mechanic: Roy Scarlett,
 replied 2 years ago
When you lift the handle it feels like it is free, not attached to anything?
There is no lock mechism, other than the lactch is in closed box mode. Thanks, ***** ***** that I will have to attempt to pry it open with some force.. Thanks, ***** ***** hoping there might be some trick to it.
Chevy Mechanic: Roy Scarlett,
 replied 2 years ago
I assume the handle is either disconnected or broken.
It is broken.
The handle will not engage the push rod that either locks or opens the latch- If you have no other suggestions, have a nice day and thanks.
Chevy Mechanic: Roy Scarlett,
 replied 2 years ago
Sorry I couldn't help you. Good luck.
Thank you and have a nice day.
Chevy Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 2 years ago
mike switzer
are you able to take a picture and upload it here of underneath the handle while you are trying to pull it open so i may be able to provide a suggestion?