Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

GM Tahoe: My 2002 Chevy Tahoe will not start. It cuts out immediately

Customer Question
My 2002 Chevy Tahoe will...
My 2002 Chevy Tahoe will not start. It cuts out immediately after turning over. The battery, low fuel and security lights cycle repetivly after any start attempt. All gauges function normal exept the fuel gauge which reads empty even though the tank is full. Also the box that identifies the gear selected is gone. When the key is removed from the ignition the security light is illuminated in defenetly. I tried unplugging the battery for a couple hours. The car does have an after market remote start that was installed 12 years ago. I checked fuses. I have the lower dashed apart and checked connections. I suspect the Passlick sensor when bad. I tried the 30 minute relearn procedure but no success. I put my multi meter across the pass lock senser and while I to get a reading, I don't get any changes when I put the key in and cycle the ignition. I tried using a variable resister (POTS) with resistances of .5K to 13.6k but no success. I even tried setting the resistance to 5K and doing the 30 minute relearn procedure again but still won't start. Please help me!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
4/19/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tim's Auto Repair
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.does the security light stay on with the key on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the key is on the security light is not on solid. When the key is on the message center constantly cycles between "battery", "low fuel" and "security"
oklets try something simple here first..remove both battery cables from the battery,touch and hold both the + and the - cables together for 5 seconds,then re-install them back to the battery..but,from the way you explain,it sounds as if you may have a bad ignition switch itself.not the lock cylinder but the electrical switch,,these will just go bad like this sometimesthanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I disconnected the positive and negative off the battery and held them together for 5 seconds. After that, the security light went away. I tried starting it and no luck. The security light is on again. What about the body control module??
ok.now if the security light is on,,do the relearn.30 Minute Learn Procedure 1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. 2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start. 3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF. 4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds. 5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle. 6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password. 7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs, if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles..the bcm is possible,,but,i think it is the switchthanks\If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why do you think I have no gear selection in the instrument cluster? The Read out is working and displays the different gears like park, Neutral, drive and ect but the box that highlights the selected gear is nowhere to be seen.Does that input come from the transmission or the gear selector lever?
i think the switch is bad and killing the power to the PRND321 indicator,,these will do this with a bad switch,most times the transmission won shift correctly if this is out also
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i think the switch is bad and killing the power to the PRND321 indicator,,Which switch is bad?
the ignition switch itself,,
Parts InformationOEM Part #PriceIgnition SwitchIgnition SwitchManual Trans26098763$155.78Auto Trans26098764$220.66Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandardReplaceB 0.0 - 1.4 hours
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvdb0e6tcirjhov/0420-tahoe-Ignition%20Switch%20Replacement.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/zvdb0e6tcirjhov/0420-tahoe-Ignition%20Switch%20Replacement.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it possible to jump it out so I can confirm or rule out that it's the ignition switch?
i really dont have any good tests for this type of switch
these switches can do many different things when they burn out..i have seen them do as your problem
If the ignition switch is misindexed in one direction, the ignition switch circuits will not be completely open when the ignition switch is in the OFF position with the key removed. This may result in lights remaining on or instrument panel lights illuminating, which will drain the battery. If the ignition switch is misindexed in the opposite direction, the ignition circuits will open correctly but the ignition switch may not close the crank circuit properly when the ignition key is turned to the crank position. This will result in a no crank concern.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Interesting. It seems odd though because the engine actually turned over. If the BCM isn't satisfied with the correct Pass lock code (resistance) it won't send a fuel enable to the PCM.
again,,a BCM could do this also,,but we have had to replace the switch to fix this problem many times..we can not rule out the BCM.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I removed the ignition switch. All contacts seem clean. No signs or smells of anything burnt. I put my volt meter between the orange/black wire that goes to the padlock sensor and ground and I do t get any voltage. From what I read I should be getting 5 volts across it upon start attempt
i would think your switch is badthanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tim, I replaces the ignition switch and the problem still persist. I tried to connect. Scan tool but it can't communicate with the vehicle. I connected a multi meter from pin 2 (class 2 data) in the Data Link connector to ground and reading a solid 12 volts. I think there is a short to positive in the class 2 data buss. I want to access splice pack SP205 to isolate all the modules and check were the short is but I can't find SP205. My dealer manual says it's in the area of the kick panel in the driver side of the dash. I looked everywhere in that area and can't find it. Any ideas where it might be?
yes,,i can help you with that..PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/fanxf11e1faulg3/0502-TAHOE-Locations%20View.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/fanxf11e1faulg3/0502-TAHOE-Locations%20View.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** the same exact info from my GM tech manuals. The problem is the SP205 is not where is says it is
okstand by..one of the other guys may have a better idea of what is going on.someone will be right with youthanks
Chevy Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
mike switzer
just curious did you ever do the 30 minute relearn procedure for the key?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, several times. I originally thought this was a padlock problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is anybody able to answer my question about the location of splice pack 205 (SP205)??
Chevy Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 1 year ago
Ryan Schott
taped to the harness right behind the left ip fuse block, looks like a little rectangle box taped to the harness.
Chevy Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 1 year ago
your are correct though you should not have 12v on your class 2, pop that sucker out and test each pin, if you don't find a short you might have to check modules and you may have to jump the bcm connector to them so they receive wake up signal. but first just check all pins then let me know.
Chevy Mechanic: Ryan Schott,
 replied 1 year ago
oh wait sorry that's 04 was thinking, yours is behind the headlamp switch, if someone has had it apart before look for it to be dangling lower
Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott