Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Coolant came from passanger side of a 2010 cobalt lt. not inside

Customer Question

coolant came from passanger side of a 2010 cobalt lt. not inside car but you could see it leaking from around the tire wall area
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: coolant was leaking from the bottom of engine on passenger side. car is a 2010 cobalt lt 2.2l
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Coolant leaks are kind of difficult to diagnose without actually seeing where the leak is coming from. But, from what you are describing- lower, rear of the engine leaking near the front tire, sounds like the problem could be a faulty Water Pump. If you remove the passenger's front tire and the splash shield behind it, you can get a better look at the source of the leak. If the water pump does not appear to be the source of the problem, then I would recommend a cooling system pressure test. This is where a tool is used to add pressure to the system. If the gauge on the tool does not hold pressure, this is the sign of a leak, and a visual inspection will need to be done. For an image view of the splash shield to remove, click here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecewb1d3cjotaws/22-splash.jpg?dl=0For an image view of the water pump, click here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgd8rqpm5jkpo92/22-wp.jpg?dl=0If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. Customer ratings help other customers find the better (or worse) Experts! You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it only done it once haven't seen it since.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. At this point, I would recommend the cooling system pressure test. Remove the right splash shield shown in the image above. Install the tool and pump it up. If the gauge does not hold steady, a visual inspection will need to be done. Unfortunately, with leaks, there really is no 1-answer I can give without seeing a general idea of where the leak is coming from. If it only did it once, could be a thermostat that was stuck, causing the engine to slightly over-heat which builds up too much pressure and caused the leak. So if the pressure test holds steady, and shows no leaks, might be a good idea to replace the Thermostat.If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. Customer ratings help other customers find the better (or worse) Experts! You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did you find the source of the leak? What did the pressure test show? I'm curious to know what the problem was here for future reference!