Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevy trailblazer: recently i was in a accident and bent some

Customer Question
recently i was in a...
recently i was in a accident and bent some front end suspension out of shape in a 08 chevy trailblazer. i changed both bent lower control arms and semi re-aligned to get it to the alignment shop. everything looked great and with a slight turn both tires cambered in terribly and un-drive able and cant find a obvious issue what could it be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
4/16/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Have the upper ball joints come loose? The only way to adjust the camber out so badly that it would be undriveable would be for the upper or lower ball joints to come loose and allow the assembly to pivot in all the way on the top. I assume you have the 4wd model?
I suppose the shock yoke could have come loose or broken off of the lower control arm also.Do you have any pictures of the suspension as it sits currently?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the lower control arms along with mounts came with new lower ball joints. I uploaded a picture of the front view of how the tires are sitting and about to send you a picture of the upper ball joint
Ok. I haven't seen anything come through yet. I'll check it out when it does.
That last picture looks really badly toed out. Is the problem with excessive toe or camber? When you say it's undriveable is it so far cambered that the tire is hitting the fender or something?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was visually aligned and my thought is when it cambers in it cause it to toe out.... its not rubbing the well. the problem is with the the extreme unintentional camber and i dont know what would cause it to camber in so bad after sitting straight and driving straight until wheel movement is made
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could a bad upper ball joint cause the amount of camber?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that amount**
What are you referring to as camber?I just can't see a whole lot of camber from the pictures.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
way negative camber!. ok and what would cause that toe out. ball joints good inner and outer rack and pinion looks good
Was anything where the control arms mount bent in the accident? Were the replacement control arms new or salvage? Are you certain they are from the correct vehicle? There really isn't that much camber adjustment on this suspension set up. There are bolts that are in the upper control arm and then the bolts in the lower control arm along with the lower control arm bracket. The lower control arm bracket could be loose at the subframe.Again I'm assuming it's 4wd since I can't see from the pictures and you haven't yet mentioned whether it is or not.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im sorry it is 2wd rw. replacement arms new from napa. positive they are for the correct vehicle. true fully before i replaced the lower control arms there was an extreme positive camber so i really at a loss at the moment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just an fyi you will get paid from me my mom works on this sight so thank you for your time
Check the braket that bolts to the subframe to make sure it's not bent or shifted out of whack. Here is a diagram to show you what I mean.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its not. ok here the list of questions.
Here is the procedure for adjusting the camber on this vehicle. As you can see, not much is supposed to move. Even bad ball joints shouldn't push it that far off unless one is completely broken. I think I might call it a night. I'll check back in with you in the AM if that's ok.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is that upper ball joint normal?
if not can it effect the camber that bad?
after the control arm mount was installed there may have been minor movement once weight and pressure was applied from driving?thats fine buddy i appreciate your help and will check back after i go check out some undamaged trailblazers tomorrow. thanks Jared! goodnight
That upper ball joint didn't look bad. Hard to tell though. You would always pull it and see if the ball joint shaft is bent to crap. They usually break rather than bend.Is it possible that the steering knuckle was bent in the accident? I can't see it very well, but that would definitely make the camber go way negative.I'll see you in the AM.
I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional help. Please don't forget to rate.
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician