AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Power windows & car stereo will not work on a 1994 chevy Camaro

Customer Question

JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: The side view mirrors will not work
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: It stopped working after I saw a light spark & could smell a burn smell.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN or engine size?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2G1FP22S5R2161187
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. Have you checked for power to the window switch or the radio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
And what were the readings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother was able to get the window motor to spin by plugging it somehow to the battery. The radio has a wire to the fuse box & worked.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
So they are both missing power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The test didn't read the voltage. It only lot up on the test. The light lit when I would push up or down
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
So do you have power at these components or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes power at each
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Ok, which wires have power on them going to the switch and radio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The radio will only work with a wire from it to the fuse box in the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with which wire.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
That would mean there is no power going to these components. You just told me there is power going to these components. So which is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only know the test light lit up when I would push up or down & he said it was not the switch for the windows.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Was the circuit breaker checked for the power windows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm meaning the test light indicated there is power coming from them all but they won't work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the circuit breaker? Then maybe I can say what he done related to it.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
It isa 30 amp circuit breaker number 15 located in the I/P fuse block. This supplies power to the power window switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The window motor worked using the car battery but not in the proper location on the car.. The radio works only with a wire coming from it to the fuse box but not without the extra wire he added so it can work. I had a new window motor he installed but did not work on the car & it too worked when connected to the car battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He checked 2 fuses on the side of the dash. One was a blade & the other a silver rectangular box like thing & they both lit up when the test light was used in both.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
The circuit breaker might just be tripped for the power windows. And there are two seperate fuses for the radio. Fuse 8 and fuse 17 both in the IP fuse block.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He checked the locations the fuses plugged into & the test lift lit up also.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
And the fuses and circuit breaker have power on them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the IP fuse box on the side or the dash inside the car?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Inside the vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually he checked it in the past but I can't say for sure he checked the actual slots today when he worked on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He checked the fuse today while they were plugged into their slots on today.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this would be the next step. If this checks out good, then the problem is in the wiring between the fuses/circuit breaker and radio and power window switch. I would recommend to just run a new wire as that would be the fastest and easiest fix.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Please dont forget to rate. Have a great night!!
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
You should see the rating system either towards the top or the bottom of the page.