GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Hey Randall, my '88 Chevy S10 2.5L is cranking but not starting.

Customer Question

Hey Randall, my '88 Chevy S10 2.5L is cranking but not starting. Just replaced the air filter, spark plugs, wires, and starter and still nothing. Tried jumping it and even push starting it but no luck there either. Rotor appears to be fine along with the dis. cap. We're thinking maybe it could be the ignition cool or fuel pump?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also replaced the fuel filter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist you need spark, fuel pressure and compression to run. have you checked for spark to the plugs??? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Roy, thanks for your assistance. Sure did. All of the plugs have spark.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, good, thanks..next, can you see fuel being sprayed from the injectors into the intake?? if not, then try sparaying some carb cleaner into the throttle body and see if it starts and stalls. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I see if fuel is being sprayed into the injectors?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
remove the air filter assembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't see any fuel coming out from under the air filter after removing it. Are we supposed to be seeing fuel here upon cranking it? If not where is the throttle body located so I can spray some carb cleaner in there
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
you should see pulsating fuel going into the motor. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I just pop the air filter off in order to see this or do I need to go deeper than that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is fuel pulsating into the motor.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, if there is fuel going in and you have spark, this thing should run what happened prior to this not starting???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was running fine before we replaced the spark plugs and wires. The suggested gap for my spark plugs is .045, but the old ones were so worn out that they were probably gapped around .060. There was no needle at all on the point of them. Could this be the problem? Or do you think there is a ground wiring problem? We checked the grounds when replacing the starter and everything else.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
where did you check for spark when you told me it had spark???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We plugged another spark plug into each wire and grounded it and got spark from all 4.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks it may be flooded. try holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking and see if it starts Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've given it gas when trying to crank it but it won't start. Sometimes when we try to crank it it'll run really low but then it sputters out every time even when we try giving it gas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the gaps or what are you thinking?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, the next step is fuel pressure. you can rent a tester at a parts store. it needs 9-13 lbs of pressure to run. we need to verify this. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And If there is not enough pressure where do we go from there?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
fuel pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tested the ignition coil and module today. Both are getting spark and working. Was unable to test the fuel pump using the tester bc there was no valve to test on but we can hear the fuel pump priming when we put it in the on position. Tried starter fluid as well but it's still not starting except for the split second it does with no power at all before stalling out. Checked the spark plugs again and they're still sparking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're thinking maybe it could be a wiring problem?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok. if you have spark then the coil and module are good. so it started and stalled with starting fluid??? you can rent a tester for the fuel pump at a parts store. we need to see if there is enough pressure to let it run under the distributor cap and rotor, it there a sensor below ehre the rotor mounts?? Roy