Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Trailblazer: Chris, thanks continued

Customer Question
Hi Chris, thanks for your...
Hi Chris, thanks for your continued help. I got the scanner and ran some tests. I took some screen shots for you to look at also. These are sort of freeze frames from when I would crank and very temporarily get the engine to run 3-5 seconds at a shot. I ended the day with one DTC which is also shown in the photo. Don't know if that was because the battery was starting to run low though.... One issue that was in red the whole time was the air fuel ratio, which was showing at 4.9 - 5.4. It was highlighted in red when the motor was running, and appeared to be out of range. I did not see where I could test the crankshaft position sensor. I was also showing a misfire on cyl 2,3,4 while it was running, but those weren't stored to be displayed. Take a look at the pics and let me know if anything stands out to you as unusual. The computer passed all its tests (with the exception of the code shown below at the very end of my testing when battery was a bit low).
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
4/5/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Can you upload the images?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

2016-04-05_025340_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_025536_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_025712_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_025816_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_025922_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_030037_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_030136_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_030239_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_030337_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_030448_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_031953_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_032044_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_032135_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_032429_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_032521_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_032613_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_032708_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_032751_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_032902_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_032954_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_033041_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg2016-04-05_033138_201604...jpg2016-04...jpg
Thanks for the uploads, after looking them over. I can not figure out what is wrong. I am going to opt out and let another set of eyes try to figure it out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

okay thanks

Chevy Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the engine only starts and runs for a few seconds it could be losing spark, fuel, or it may be an exhaust restriction. It isn't uncommon for a restricted catalytic converter to cause a no start condition.Did the engine die while driving? If not, did the problem start after a repair, jump start, etc?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Sorry for the delay and thank you for the help! THe problem started after changing out the plugs at 155,000, doing a wet/dry compression test, and cleaning the throttle body. I pulled the TB and just used a soft brush and cleaner. Already tried swapping the TB with a new one and no change. The plugs got fouled up a little after the wet test, but I blew the cylinders out pretty good and cleaned the plugs off with carb cleaner. You have to flutter the accelerator a lot to get it to run for a few seconds, and keep fluttering it until it dies. Will def not idle at all, and sounds like its running on less cylinders.. very rough, like timing is suddenly off or something. Driving me crazy...

What was the reason for doing the compression test?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I had a slight rough idle (which was my reason for changing plugs) and since I wanted to see how healthy the motor was, wanted to check compression. Another mechanic here recommended the wet and dry test, but I dont think the wet was necessary. Dry was at 140-155 all cylinders. Wet and it shot up in to the 220's, and one went to 300.

Do you know the current spark plug condition?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Not really, I sprayed them clean last time I pulled them and put them back in.

Was anything done to clean the cylinders though? By the description it sounds like the plugs are fouled because of the oil. Try pulling a few back out and check their condition again.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician