Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Steering wheel shakes a lot when driving seems like steering

Customer Question
coloum gearbox is damage JA: Good...
steering wheel shakes a lot when driving seems like steering coloum gearbox is damage
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: 1990 model
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: good
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
4/2/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Hi there,What model is your vehicle?Have you done anything yet to try and resolve the problem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1990 Chevrolet pace arrow motorhome
OkIs the shake happening at highway speeds or when making turns, like into a parking spot?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
So, if it doesn't shake going down the road and it doesn't shake when you turn to pull in someplace, when exactly does it shake?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes it shakes when driving down the road, and if I hold steering tight it stops shaking
OkIt is possible there is an issue with the gear box, however I would first balance the tires. These big tires can lose balance fairly easily and there has to be some play in the gear box and the drag link and idler arm to absorb it so you don't feel every little imperfection on the road.If balance doesn't help, then the tie rods, idler, drag link and pitman arm all need to be inspected to locate the problem. Since there are more then one possible issues all will have to be looked at and inspected to determine the cause. Normally if the drag link is the problem it will wonder going down the road. It sounds to me like you might resolve this with a balance.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no don't want to change phone call if I grab steering coloum it shakes down to gearbox
No problem on the phone call the site sends those automatically.I think I understand now what you mean about shaking the column to the gear box. Does the gear box leak any power steering fluid from the top seal?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it doesn't leak
Ok, it is possible the U joint for the steering shaft is where the shake is coming from. Some used a smal U joint, others more of a pad. I can't really be sure on yours. If this isn't where the actual movement is, then you might just need to adjust the worm gear a small amount. You have to do this just about 1/4 turn at a time. If you look at the gear box, you can see a nut with the slotted grove in it coming up through the center. Use a flat head screwdriver and hold it in place, then loosen the nut. Turn the screw clockwise, 1/4 turn, then tighten the nut. This should tighten things up. If you over do it, then it's not going to want to return to center automatically. If that's the case, back it off a small amount and try again.Not leaking is a good sign.
Hello again, do you need further assistance with this?
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician