Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Ignition switch is doing several odd things. Do I change

Customer Question

Ignition switch is doing several odd things. Do I change just the lock cylinder or the entire switch assy?
- Ignition to "On", all dash lights come on then go off except the oil and seat belt light, fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds, radio has power. Switch in "Start", instrument panel light go off, starter does nothing. Back to "On" oil, seat belt and sometimes "check engine soon" light is on as well. Ignition to Off, oil, seat belt and check engine soon lights stay on and radio has power. Turn the key hard counter-clockwise and radio power turns off but instrument panel lights stay on. Release key lights stay on and radio is has power again even with key removed. Disconnecting/reconnecting the battery turns the lights off.
- Sometimes when key is turned to off, all light go out and radio turns off like they should.
- Sometimes when I go to "Start" the instrument lights go off, starter doesn't move. Back to "On" and all lights are off and radio is off. Like the switch is in "Off" position.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve,

The car needs to be scanned for codes set.

The switch could be faulty, and it can be changed separately to the ignition barrel.

More than likely there is a larger fault, since the BCM tells the ECM to allow engine crank.

Can you get a mobile tech to scan for codes please?

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can the codes be read by a consumer level scanner? I connected mine and there were no codes.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve,

Your scanner might be able to.

Can it display data from the BCM or ECM/PCM?

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. It's just a U-Scan.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve,

It would be best to get a GM scan tool, Tech2 or Tech2Win via MDI.

You could keep guessing and replace the ignition switch, or see the switch status in data first, then take the appropriate path.

With a GM tool, you can perform actuator tests, then you know whether the fault is on the input or output side.

Do you want to take a punt on the switch or go to a GM dealer for their diagnosis?

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve,

How did you go with your problem?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I changed the switch assy and it fixed the problem. Thanks?

!

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Steve,

Glad you sorted your problem.

Kind regards

Gary