Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

My wife's 07 Chevy Aveo was towed home Tuesday. She tried

Customer Question

My wife's 07 Chevy Aveo was towed home Tuesday. She tried downshifting on the freeway and suddenly she couldn't get it in or out of gear. I was able to get it in all gears but the clutch engagement was all wrong. there didn't seem to be any slip zone, it just jumped at 1/2 pedal. I found the clutch master cylinder leaking slightly under the boot so I changed it and bled the system, no change. I had backed the car out of the garage onto the upward sloped driveway which required a lot of RPM's. Later I couldn't get it out of gear and cannot disengage the clutch, even to allow it to roll. I also changed the slave cylinder, still no help.
I changed the clutch, throw out bearing, and had the flywheel resurfaced last April. ANY ideas???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt C. replied 1 year ago.
It definitely sounds like you have a problem with that clutch disc again. Is there any noise accompanying clutch engagement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isnt any clutch engagement or should I say, disengagement. I can't start the car because the clutch won't disengage. I explained all this.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

assuming you did get all the air out of the clutch system, have you adjusted the clutch??? I will attach a picture of where the adjustment is located under the dash at the clutch master. make sure you have about 1/2 inch free play.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Roy,
I definitely got all the air out but it was a manual bleed. I've been bleeding brakes and clutches for almost 40 years and have never needed a pressure bleeder. Always a first time.
I adjusted the clutch but i think theres still too much free play. The first 1/4 of the pedal stroke doesn't move the slave hardly at all.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks, ***** ***** get the picture I sent you to adjust the free play???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya, but i ran out of adjustment since the pishrod threads are barely engaged to the clevis.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks. it sounds like you have a pressure plate failure in the clutch. at first it sounded like you lost the slave cylinder but after you did the hydraulics have been replaced, the other issue could be a broken spring or 2 in the pressure plate not allowing the disc to free wheel and let you shift in gear.

it is less than a year old, I see, but something happened there. it sounds like you will be doing it again. sorry

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Damn Roy,
I was trying to rule out the clutch because of its age but I'm beginning to guess you're right. I'll drop the transmission tomorrow or Monday. I'll sure pay you if it's there and won't blame you if it's not. Thank you.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

your welcome

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will definitely rate you Roy when I drop the transmission. I was just now able to disengage the clutch enough to get it off my steep driveway into the garage. I'm going to work on it again tomorrow.
I HAVEN'T forgotten you but can't rate your advice until I find out you were right.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

you can rate me anytimr and we can still continue