Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My wife's 07 Chevy Aveo was towed home Tuesday. She tried

Customer Question
downshifting on the freeway and...
My wife's 07 Chevy Aveo was towed home Tuesday. She tried downshifting on the freeway and suddenly she couldn't get it in or out of gear. I was able to get it in all gears but the clutch engagement was all wrong. there didn't seem to be any slip zone, it just jumped at 1/2 pedal. I found the clutch master cylinder leaking slightly under the boot so I changed it and bled the system, no change. I had backed the car out of the garage onto the upward sloped driveway which required a lot of RPM's. Later I couldn't get it out of gear and cannot disengage the clutch, even to allow it to roll. I also changed the slave cylinder, still no help.
I changed the clutch, throw out bearing, and had the flywheel resurfaced last April. ANY ideas???
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Matt C., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
It definitely sounds like you have a problem with that clutch disc again. Is there any noise accompanying clutch engagement?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There isnt any clutch engagement or should I say, disengagement. I can't start the car because the clutch won't disengage. I explained all this.
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

assuming you did get all the air out of the clutch system, have you adjusted the clutch??? I will attach a picture of where the adjustment is located under the dash at the clutch master. make sure you have about 1/2 inch free play.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Roy,
I definitely got all the air out but it was a manual bleed. I've been bleeding brakes and clutches for almost 40 years and have never needed a pressure bleeder. Always a first time.
I adjusted the clutch but i think theres still too much free play. The first 1/4 of the pedal stroke doesn't move the slave hardly at all.

ok, thanks, ***** ***** get the picture I sent you to adjust the free play???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ya, but i ran out of adjustment since the pishrod threads are barely engaged to the clevis.

ok, thanks. it sounds like you have a pressure plate failure in the clutch. at first it sounded like you lost the slave cylinder but after you did the hydraulics have been replaced, the other issue could be a broken spring or 2 in the pressure plate not allowing the disc to free wheel and let you shift in gear.

it is less than a year old, I see, but something happened there. it sounds like you will be doing it again. sorry

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Damn Roy,
I was trying to rule out the clutch because of its age but I'm beginning to guess you're right. I'll drop the transmission tomorrow or Monday. I'll sure pay you if it's there and won't blame you if it's not. Thank you.

your welcome

how are you making out

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will definitely rate you Roy when I drop the transmission. I was just now able to disengage the clutch enough to get it off my steep driveway into the garage. I'm going to work on it again tomorrow.
I HAVEN'T forgotten you but can't rate your advice until I find out you were right.

you can rate me anytimr and we can still continue

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest