Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

My name is ***** *****, and I have a Chevy s10 2002 4.3l. I

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****, and I have a Chevy s10 2002 4.3l. I changed a bad fuel pump and now I'm not getting power back to the fuel pump. I've already changed the relay and that didn't work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have no power to any of the wires on the new wire harness when I turn the key
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You still there?
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

I'm here. Does the relay click when you turn the key on?

Check the ECM-B fuse for an open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The relay clicks. Where is that fuse located?

In the underhood fuse block.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it one of the 20a fuses? Because none of them have blown

It's a 20A fuse. Use a test light, is there power present at this fuse? Touch the top of the fuse, on both sides at the little metal tab, with a test light and see if the test light lights up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know which one it is specifically? I have no clue

You can see it in this diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'm getting 1amp stray through it with the key on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
around 22v

22v?

And how are you measuring amperage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using a multimeter

You have 22 volts at that fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's what it is reading, it's jumping a lot, the low end is 9.3v and it peaks at about 22
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed settings to a 20v scale and it stays between 9v and 10v if that helps at all

OK, if you're on a 20v scale and it's reading 9-10v, then it's 9-10 volts.

I would lose the multimeter and grab a test light. Much simpler and more reliable. Touch the test light to both sides of the fuse. If it lights up on both sides, then the fuse is good and power is present at the fuse. We don't care about amps right now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay the it lights up on the fuse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Disregard the phone call request, I hit the button on accident
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the moment when I try cranking the truck will turn over off of ether and the fuel line coming off the green tab is full of gas, and the clear tab line has some gas, the truck just won't turn over on its own

Are you talking about the hose that has a green cap and test port attached to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so, I'm attaching a picture with my finger on the one I'm talking about

OK, I was thinking of something else. I'm glad you attached a photo.

So, since there's fuel in that line, it seems that you have "some" fuel pressure. But we don't know how much? The fuel pump is working if you have a bunch of fuel in that line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's seems to be fairly pressurized, when i open the line after cranking it pushes fuel out and I can feel the pressure in the line release

Then the pump is doing something. You'd need a fuel pressure gauge to see if it's actually up to the spec of 55-62 psi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have one of those on hand, is there anyway we could try assuming it's correct pressure and go to the next step?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you don't think that's a good idea, I can pick up a pressure gauge tomorrow morning and check it then

I wouldn't assume here, fuel pumps are bad often enough that I'd want to know.

How did this turn out, did you get it fixed up?