Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 1999 chevy s10. the left brake light does not work.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 chevy s10. the left brake light does not work. replace bulb and socket no brake lights
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about it. The right brake light works fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the turn signal and parking light on left rear work? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the turn signal and parking light work. Brake light does not work. Can you help me with this?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this most likely means the multi function switch "turn signal switch" has failed as brake light circuit goes through this switch. Do you have a multi meter to do some testing? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have meter. Where is the multi function signal switch located?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The multi function switch is the turn signal/wiper switch. It is called a multi function switch because it serves multiple functions. I would just replace, there is no reason to test as there is nothing else it could be since turn signals work that proves wiring/connections are good. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is this switch located on truck? Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is the turn signal switch on the steering column, here are replacement instructions. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99wjog7w68d3edq/turnsw.pdf?dl=0