GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2008 Chevy hhr that only has 37k miles on it. It is

Customer Question

Hello Pearl. I have a 2008 Chevy hhr that only has 37k miles on it. It is having an issue with rough idling. I start it and the rpms jump all over and it dies. I have tried stepping on the gas to keep them up but it's like the gas isn't even connected to it. Do you know what the issue might be?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would like to. Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just happened today so I'm doing some research on what the issue might be.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Awhile back the rpms would jump a little while I was driving down the road and the check traction control light and service ers light would come on. It has not done that in over 6 months though. Also the check engine light came on this morning and it is also an automatic.
JA: Our top Chevy Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chevy Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chevy Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Is the problem only at idle and it seems to run ok in gear?

Do you have a check engine light illuminated on the dash?

If so, we will need to get it scanned for troubled codes to really nail this one down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get it into another gear before it dies. Yes the check engine light is lit up on the dash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen many different things it could be like the air filter, gas filter, gas pump and ect.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The gas pedal has no effect? That could be either a bad throttle position sensor or accelerator pedal position sensor as well.

I don't think it's the air filter. It doesn't have a fuel filter, and the fuel pump rarely will let the vehicle start at all if it is bad.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The first step will to be to scan the computer for codes. Otherwise we would be checking/replacing things that won't be necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's correct it did maybe 1/20 times of me trying it but when I switched gears it died. How do I go about scanning the computer for codes?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You will need an obdII code reader. Some parts stores will loan them out. If not, most of them sell them.

You could also order one from somewhere like amazon. A basic code reader should be enough to give us an idea where to start looking.

A repair shop can also scan them for you, but they typically charge at least 1 hour diagnosis and you would likely have to tow it there.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check whether you still need assistance on this one.

Please let me know if you need additional info.