Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a malibu 2002 V6, the antifreze disapear,

Customer Question
I have a malibu 2002...
I have a malibu 2002 V6 , the antifreze disapear, replaced,and drove for 3 days aprox.all this time watching the temperature after 10 min. driving, the temp. needle indicate 1 line after the meddle wich I say is hot , look at the antifreze and I need toadd more, I look for for leaks on hoses and nothing wet, not even on the ground so I look at the resrvoir and and have something like a very small crackcatalitic but was not wet so I am not shure if leak here, I should suspec of a faulty pressure cap,thermostat,or
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: not but I like to tell a mecanic what to replace , and yes Years ago I study airplane engines and electronics. and unfortuly here In Mexico is necesarely to know what they are to plan to do.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Well I drove cars for 55 years more than 30 in USA and allways know what was wrong so the mcanic do not need tospend time on figuring tre trouble, thanks for you time sorry about my gramer.
JA: Our top Chevy Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chevy Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chevy Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
3/22/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician

Hi there,

This sounds like a possible head gasket issue to me. The coolant leaking to an invisible location sometimes means it's leaking into the cylinder and then burning out with combustion. Typically what I would do would be a pressure test on the cooling system to see if I can locate the source of the leak. If it's not visible then its likely the engine is using it. The pressure cap can be tested as well of course. But since the car is losing coolant it seems to indicate a leak or burning it compared to just blowing back from the radiator to the overflow.

I would ask for a pressure test and go from there.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician