Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I just rekeyed a new ignition lock cylinder 2005 chevy

Customer Question

Hello I just rekeyed a new ignition lock cylinder for my 2005 chevy equinox, but failed to heed the importance of the cylinder sidebar retracting flush. So the key does not turn. How do I remove it now? Can it e picked?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to understand the sidebar mechanism, when you insert the key into the cylinder it sucks in. I am looking at the old one. But you can push it in so the key tumblers/wafers must be right.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Chevy Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chevy Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chevy Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are my options? It is a new lock cylinder. Can a lock smith pick it? If I drill a pinhole below the sidebar might I be able to push it in?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service to you, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased with my assistance and will rate me Good or Excellent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It can be picked but a locksmith would not spend the time doing so. They would drill it out. I would let a locksmith do that to prevent drilling an damaging the steering column.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

Please make sure to complete the rating on your screen when your pleased.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris