EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chevrolet Technician
34559540

I'm having issues finding an intake manifold Chevy Malibu.

Customer Question

I'm having issues finding an intake manifold for my Chevy Malibu.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My Chevy Malibu is a 1999 (8th vin J) but has had an engine swap which is causing us to have difficulty finding what intake manifold we need.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. What problem are you having in locating a manifold? I can send you a link for one from Napa so you can see it if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know what manifold this is from exactly and we've bought ones that aren't the right fitment. So basically what model/ year is this manifold from?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

That intake that you showed me a picture of is off a 3100 series engine. It can be from multiple years. The Napa intake that they sell looks identical to the one in your picture.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What was not the same about the ones you purchased?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first picture the manifold has an attachment to it that doesn't fit and in the second picture the manifold is too short.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I see the pictures which appear to be from 2 different engines. It is hard for me to see every port and the dimensions of the intake without physically being there. Some aftermarket intakes will fit several model years and may require a plug, or cap to block off a port or something along those lines. The Napa manifold fits the 3100 engine from year 1996-1999. Click here for link to Napa intake manifold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one you linked is similar to the one I bought (second picture) which was too small. The rings were more circular and shorter. The one I needed is more of a oval shape. the body is the same concept.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Have you considered going to, or calling, a salvage yard and possibly looking at all the vehicles with a 3100 and see if you could match one up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've looked up several and I was told that because of the J on my vin number that I wasn't going to find the part nearby, but Recently we found out the engine has been swapped
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Can I have the entire 17 digit vin number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on a mobile device at the moment but here's a picture
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

All my searches come up to the same intake. Have you called a dealer with your VIN number? Even if you dont purchase the intake from them, they can give you the part number which you can then cross to get an aftermarket one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A mechanic did a engine swap but swapped to an engine that's older. So the vin number for the engine vs what's actually in the car is different.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I'll look more into this and get back to you later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if this will help but at the bottom of the Intake (the old one) there's only 3 bolts.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Have you been able to find the correct manifold? I have been searching and my results keep coming up the same manifold. You may to consider going to a salve yard and trying to match something up.