Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

The vehicle is a 1999 Chev Tahoe 4x4 Automatic Trans, PB

Customer Question
Anti skid, V-8 350 ci,Title...
The vehicle is a 1999 Chev Tahoe 4x4 Automatic Trans, PB Anti skid, V-8 350 ci,Title VIN #1GNEK13R3XJ345311 4 dr. The vehicle motor was failing to run during traffic. pulled over to the side of the highway. It would not start.It had gasoline in the tank.Finally no relatives could be reach by cell phone. 30 minutes went by. I tried to start the vehicle and it started. I drove about 60 miles and filled up the tank with low grade gasoline. I change oil (Castrol) every 2500 miles in the summer months and 3000 in the winter months. I drove it an other 36 miles. The local mechanic could find anything wrong. Made one more trip to project site. Engine quite. Waited 325 minutes. Started up the engine completed the work that day. Started up the engine got about 10 blocks engine failed. Was able to get out of traffic coasted to side of the highway. Waited 45 minutes (called several people - no answer). Tried to start engine It started up drove 90 miles to my residence. I had the local mechanic trouble shot the vehicle. Could not find anything wrong. He checked the ing module. I asked him to change out the fuel pump. Used the vehicle for about 3800 miles. Engine failed returning from a project. Put manual battery flashers on mirrors. Was parked about half in the west bound lane. In about 45 minutes after trying to reach parties by cell phone; I tried starting the engine. It started I drove about 50 miles. Engine failed again.Waited 30 minutes in snow storm. Tried to start engine. It started. I drove about 10 miles to my residence, It is parked. I checked the ignition spark the first time it did this there was good spark on a new spark plug taken from the vehicle glove box.
Can you give me any insights as to what to do next?? Thank you. Melvin Taggart
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
3/14/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. When it runs bad and you pull over can you tell me how it is running bad?
  2. One time it would not start you checked the ignition spark and verified it is good, correct?
  3. Have you checked the fuel injector pulse or fuel pressure while it would not start?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All engine failures have been with a dead stick coasting to parking out of occupied lanes of traffic. The engine will turn over with the starter it builds up oil pressure there is no sputter even. One time it sputtered 4 revolutions? time elapsed 20 minutes since engine failure. I am not sure there was any spark. Will ask my survey helper tomorrow 9 A.M. the answer to your last question is no. I do not carry that many tools and special custom equipment with survey equipment. Have a nice sleep. Melvin Taggart

Thanks, ***** ***** not be able to tell you what is causing this or what to replace without being able to know some diag results. I can tell you how to do these road side tests to not only find out what is not to blame but hopefully find out which is to blame. Would that help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we took off a
spark plug wire end and inserted a spark plug that I had in glove box. It repeatedly did have a spark. We waited hoping some one we called would return a call. After about 45 minutes from time of failure it started up and ran for 70 miles. We decide it might have been a fluke. We went back to the project 70+ miles. We worked the shift and quit. We left the project in the Tahoe. We got about 3/4 miles and the engine quite running. This time we repeatedly tride to start the engine for about 10 minutes. We tried to get a live body to come and tow us. We waited again for a person to return a call. About 45 minutes passed . I tried to start the vehicle and it started . I drove 40 miles without anything going amiss. I refueled the tank and I drove 36 more miles without a miss hap.
The local mecjanic could not find anything wrong. I purchased a life time fuel pumpo from O'Reilly Auto Parts. The local mechanic changed out he pump. It ran 3600 miles without a miss hap. Now it failed again ' It would not start. I waited about 35 minutes and tried to start it and it started again. I drove about 22 miles. The next day I decided to go to an other mechanic. HE REPLACED THE HEATER SWITCH BUT THE HEATER WOULD ONLY RUN ONE THE LOW 3 SPEEDS. HE DID NOT HAVE A RESSTER BLACK BOX. I decided to go to Moscow and get a resistor box. I drove up over a ridge going to Moscow , Id. I got over the ridge and about 3 miles further. The engine failed again. I waited 35 minutes. I tried to start the vehicle. It started right up. I turned around and went back to the mechanic's shop. I told him I as going to get my car and return. I got to Mosco, Idaho in my car . The parts house NAAPA was closed.
I had no way to check the pressure regulator or fuel pump pressure.
This is about all I can do with out getting O'Reilly Parts to check it out for a new gas pump.What is your diagnosis; if you have one?? Thanks. Melvin

With the information I have so far I believe the possible causes could be the ECM/PCM getting hot and failing or the fuel pump relay going bad.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician