Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I locked my only key in my 2007 Chevy Eqinox. Is there any…

Customer Question
I locked my only...

I locked my only key in my 2007 Chevy Eqinox. Is there any way to get inside without causing damage or calling a lock smith

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The keys are on the driver seat, car is currently not running. I went in to grab something and the keys fell out of my jacket pocket.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/9/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Assuming that you do NOT have an Onstar subscription, is that correct?

Correct

There aren't many options. I carry a slim jim in my truck for road calls, and I can usually get a door open with that. Even that takes some persistence.

This is going to be a locksmith or AAA call. AAA can come out and they have special tools that they use to gently open the top of the door, enabling them get more tools in there and unlock the door. But if you don't have AAA, you'll have to pay for the service.

One thing I'd try before calling a locksmith: call your local repair shop and see if they'll help you. I get that call several times a year, and I like being able to help people in a bind like that. It's definitely worth a shot, and if the mechanic is successful, he'll be happy to get a $20 tip.

I actually was just about to call AAA. Thanks for your help!

It's my pleasure, good luck with it!