Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We have 2003 Chevy surbuban my wife t a bumb in road gauges…

Customer Question
We have 2003 Chevy...

We have 2003 Chevy surbuban my wife hit a bumb in road gauges flickered and then she hit another and it cut of now it looks like a vehicle with a lock on it in top right hand of the instrument panel above tach is illuminated car starter will not turn over it acts like ignition is not sending fire to starter?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I crossed silnoid on starter it will turn over but will not crank?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/9/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

That light is the theft deterrent indicator. This will prevent engine starting, the system works by watching the ignition lock cylinder to make sure it's rotating. There is a sensor/module attached to it, called the passlock module, and this module has to send a password ***** the engine computer to allow the engine to start.

The problem with this system usually has to do with wire connections. They degrade over time, allowing voltage drop that changes the signal from the module. Typically, you can do a relearn on the system, the computer will adjust to this voltage drop, and you can go forward without issues. I'll give you the procedure to relearn it, and we'll see if that gets you going.

Attempt to start engine, leave key ON. Security light will be on, leave key on for ten minutes, until the light goes out. Then key off, then attempt to start again, leaving key ON. Wait another ten minutes until security light goes out, then key off, and try to start it a third time, leaving key on for another ten minutes until light goes out. After this 30 minute procedure is complete, key off, and attempt to start. Engine should start and run if the procedure is successful.

It will be tomorrow before I can try to see if this will work when I try I will be back in touch, thanks

Sure, let me know how it turns out.

Tried multiple times has not worked yet? What is next?
After ten 20 minutes light is still on?

I'm sorry for the delay, I was supposed to get an email notification that you had responded, but I didn't get that notification.

This indicates that there is a hard failure in the security system. Passlock sensor failure, wiring issue... something that cannot be rectified by relearning, because the computer isn't receiving a valid code.

This needs professional scan tool diagnostics to determine what the nature of the failure is. At the very least, you need trouble codes read (BCM and PCM), and likely will need to access the BCM data as well to verify what's actually happening. It's a good time to refer this to a professional repair shop with the right equipment to diagnose and repair it.

You haven't really helped me, info I was given is free all over Internet?

The fact that there is an apparent hard failure of the electronics system in your Suburban requires use of sophisticated diagnostic equipment to make a repair. I'm sorry if you don't see the value in my analysis of your problem, but the solution is unavoidable: short of simply guessing and throwing parts at your truck, it's going to take a professional with the right tools to figure this out.

This may be the same information that is available for free all over the internet, I don't know. But what I'm telling you is qualified, professional opinion. Many things are available for free all over the internet, and most of those things are worthless or inaccurate. My advice is spot on, if your truck were in my repair shop, I'd have a scan tool on it, and I'd have it diagnosed in ten minutes. Your money and time are well-spent investing in professional assistance on this, as you could easily spend ten times the cost of a proper diagnosis if you choose to avoid it and just start buying and installing parts that don't solve the problem.

My professional advice is this: know when to consult a professional. The most cost-effective and time-efficient route possible here is paying a professional to diagnose it, at a minimum, and based on that diagnosis, it might make sense to have him/her repair it, as well.