Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Con you have an idea what to look for? We have a 2003 Chevy…

Customer Question
Hello, Con you have...

Hello, Con you have an idea what to look for?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

We have a 2003 Chevy Impala.The dashboard lights were working. They went off for a while, then they would work. She said this happened for a few days. Now they have not come on for the last few days. I have taken the fuse out and other lights went out so I put it back. Where should I look next?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If I can find out what it needs I will. This will not be the first time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?

It might not be connected but the temp. gauge was going high then it started to work normal.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

Check the connector at the instrument cluster for being loose, then if it's ok, unplug it, turn the headlights on park, make sure then test the voltage at the B1 connector of the harness with a voltmeter. It should be the where the gray wire is It should have 12 volts or battery voltage with the engine off. It's it not, make sure the dimmer isn't set to low. If it does have 12 volts, check the ground attached to the right side of the brake pedal bracket for being loose.

If it didn't have 12 volts at B1 (gray wire), and if all of the other lights don't work (hazard/turn signal, traction control switch, surveillance mode switch), then test the voltage at both sides of the rear park lamp fuse in the right I/P junction block and also wiggle to see if it's loose. If it's voltage is less than 12 volts, check the voltage at the "right I/P 1" fuse in the underhood top fuse block and if it has 12 volts, replace the park lamp relay.

Here are the 2 wiring diagrams for the Instrument Illumination Circuit,

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic