Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a large evap leak.. I have replaced both solenoids as…

Customer Question
I have a large...

I have a large evap leak.. I have replaced both solenoids as well as a new gas cap. The smoke test identified the purge solenoid...at a lost what else can I do....06 chevy equinox 6 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Basically trying to past emissions and I keep getting the code p0455

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/4/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Kavey, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

You did clear the codes after the repair right? And the same code comes back? How quick does it come back?

I did... But it want let me make it 100 miles... Stopped by the shop twice and it wasn't ready.. Got in to take it this morning and the light pops on when starting

OK and did you resmoke test it after the repair to make sure the new solenoid passed?

I don't know if the mechanic did or not
if so is there any other sensor of part that can cause this problem

Well if you arent the mechanic then you will have to open the lines of communication between me and him either by relaying messages or possibly direct contact at an additional charge. If I am to be able to give you accurate information I need to get some questions answered.

Sure theres other stuff. Anything that can create a leak or perceived leak in the evap system can cause it. If the original diagnoses was correct then you got a bad solenoid but my experience says it most likely was a bad/half hearted diagnoses.

I was actually there when the smoke test was performed and it was smoking on passenger side rear and I watched him take the pieces from over the tire to see what was going on
my parts are original chevy parts from the dealer

Brand doesnt exclude a part from being bad. It simply lessens the chance. Every brand has a bad part from time to time.

When you watched him smoke test it and take pieces from above the tire what were the results of him moving pieces?

By the way just for the record removing parts is not part of the smoke test and the smoke should have been coming through the intake if the test was properly performed.

It was hooked up through the intake but I'll ask and I have the old part with and it look as if the solenoid was stuck open

Did you apply electric to it and see if it closes?

Kavey
Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner