Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm ***** ***** and trying to find some possible reasons…

Customer Question
I'm ***** ***** and...

I'm ***** ***** and trying to find some possible reasons for our Impala not starting. Had the issue with security light several years and found an after market part work around that fixed that. About 8 months ago, it wouldn't start, could turn the key, hear clicking, had it towed. Started fine next day at the shop. No problems since then. 2 weeks ago, same thing, towed, started at the shop. then last Friday, same thing.. This tow driver tried a few things such as pounding on the starter and such with no luck. Towed it, and after he got it off the truck, just for fun, tried it. started! Shop went to check it the next day, no start, Monday when we went to pick it up, no start. That shop checked all they could, loose connections, battery, starter etc. suggested towing it to another shop with 2 former GM certified mechanics. They have tried it several times today and it keeps starting. They suggested leaving again until they try it and it doesn't start so have some place to try to trouble shoot.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I don't know what else to mention. The security light deal apparently was due to some part GM knew would eventually corrode and this is a high humidity area leading to more corrosion.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
I'll be out for a while. I did think of another couple of details that might be pertinent.
The key fell out of the ignition switch about a year ago, car kept running. My husband forgot to put it in park twice in the past 2 months and turned it off in gear. Battery was dead both times by morning. Started fine with a battery jump starter. One key will only start when inserted one way. other key is normal, works either way. A few months after the key fell out the first time, GM gave us some sort of adjustment on our keys and suggested that no other keys be left on the ring. We have done so.
Car is in a shop now with 2 former GM certified mechanics who went on their own. Was towed in. Didn't start when dropped off there. Today has started each time they tried it. They are hoping it won't start so they can find somewhere to start checking.
Now, each time it has been towed, it started the next time. But eventually failed. Any chance that the bouncing about or perhaps change in angle could be a factor?
Could the ignition key falling out indicate that it is loose and that is the problem?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Julie, My name is***** will be glad to help. The last thing you mentioned flagged me as it sounds like everyone has bee pretty thorough on checking for wiring corrosion and damage. I'd have them test for power at the starter when this happens and also wiggle the key switch tumbler and test the Ignition switch circuit coming out of the column as it is possible you may have a worn out ignition switch. Let me know

Ok, will call the shop in the morning and suggest this and get back to you ASAP. Thanks, ***** ***** be a happy customer tomorrow.
J
Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Intermittent problems are the toughest for anyone to find. But sometimes you can give the harness some tugs and do a wiggle test to get it to act up and if so you have found the problem area. Let me know

Chevy Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi Julie, Did you get this resolved?

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson