K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

The power steering was going out at times. After shutting

Customer Question

The power steering was going out at times. After shutting the car off it would work again for a while. We decided to change columns but it would not work so put the old column back in and now the steering motor will not run.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, as we are on a very limited income and my husband is a former mechanic.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the whole column and motor would not run. Put the old column back in and will not run. It ran prior to the change. Originally steering was going out part time and would work again for a while if car was shut off.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: We replaced the motor and reprogrammed it and it ran fine for 3,000 miles before it stared acting up again. The original motor had lost all it's steering.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what's the vehicle year, model and engine size?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007 chevy malibu 2.2 4 cyl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will I get an answer by email?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** starting point if you have not pulled any codes is to check the ground, contant battery voltage and ignition on voltage at the control module. I'll post the pin outs below.