Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My niece has a 2002 Chevy Impala. The other day it would not…

Customer Question
My niece has a 2002...
My niece has a 2002 Chevy Impala. The other day it would not start. Lights come, horn works, radio works, etc. She took it to a mechanic. After a couple of days they called to tell her it started without any problems. Today the same thing happened. It had been working fine all day. Then it refused to start. She put in a new battery and it refused to start. Any ideas what might be the problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/1/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon,
 replied 2 years ago
Reggie Whiddon

Yes it could be the starter, often times one of the poles on the armature can burn out, and the starter will work every time until it comes to rest on that spot, this can be a nightmare to diagnose because it can work perfect for days in a row and then no start. Which is what happened at thr shop you took it to. To be sure you would need to ck it when it doesn't start, At the time it want start using a voltmeter or test light ck for 12 volts on the purple wire at thr starter when the key is in the start position . Another method used If no light or meter is available is to take a hammer and strike the rear of the starter while someone is trying to start this jarring will knock thr armature off the bad pole and car will start if it does starter is your problem

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician