Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 1996 chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 5.7 vortec. My truck

Customer Question
hi there, I have a...
hi there, I have a 1996 chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 5.7 vortec. My truck has been losing a small amount of antifreeze about a 1/2 a cup every 60 miles and when I go up the hill by my house I get a shudder for 5-10 seconds and the ses light will flash a few times but not leave a obd2 code in the computer. I recently replaced the gaskets and seals on the upper and lower intake manifold and replaced the fuel pressure regulator as the lower gasket had two small leaks and the regulator had never been replaced. the truck seems more responsive now when you step on the gas but I'm still losing antifreeze and cant find where. I'm also still get that shudder and ses light flashing a few times at the same place on the hill. Please help don't what to do next
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
2/25/2016
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

the engine light will flash sometimes when you have a miss-fire or if the catalyst converter is clogged [it is about the same as getting a p0300 code]..this may be from it needing a tune up or from a bad catalyst converter,,

but sense it is also loosing coolant and you do not find a leak,it is possible that you may have a blown head gasket,thus letting coolant into a cylinder then going out the exhaust.if you have already replacd the intake gaskets and still loosing coolant there is nowhere else for it to go but out the exhaust

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic