Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2004 Trailblazer with the intermittent dead battery

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Trailblazer with the intermittent dead battery problem. When I try to start the engine and the battery is dead, I then cannot remove the key until I have boosted the engine. Does this further support the misindexed ignition switch as the culprit, or are the two merely coincidental?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The trailblazer will crank without problem for days, and then go out and just nothing - no interior lights, no dash, and it won't turn over. Jump it or charge the battery and it will crank right up. Might work for days, or might not crank the next time I try it. Battery and alternator are both good.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This doesnt sound like the electronic ignition switch fault here.This sounds like you either have a battery that has a cell in it that is shorting out or failing intermittently causing this issue or an issue with a battery drain/draw intermittently.

The first thing that needs done is to have the battery tested to see if it needs replaced.A local parts store can usually test this at no charge to you.The second thing if the battery is o.k. is to have a battery drain/draw test done to see if there is a drain on the battery causing this issue.I have a procedure that can be followed if you have a multi meter to see if you can locate the source of the drain yourself just let me know if this is something you would like to do.If you do not have this tool to do this testing then this will need done by someone that does have this tool.

One of these two is the cause here needing located to correct the fault.The ignition switch wont cause the dead battery issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The battery tested as good.I do have a multimeter so I'd be willing to do the draw test. Is this issue causing me to be unable to remove the key; it won't turn to the off position? Only happens when the vehicle won't crank
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Wrong post let me retype sorry.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

When the battery is dead this will cause the key to stick in the ignition like this here on this model.Once the battery issues is resolved this will correct the key staying in the ignition fault.

Here is the battery draw test.Keep in mind this test will show all o.k. until the vehicle is acting up which can be tricky to test to locate the fault in some cases but this is the test that needs done to pinpoint the cause here.

what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.Thanks Pete